Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-03-2006 , 04:53 PM

Maya vs. Max

I am really new to Maya. Its the first time ever i use maya and i have version 7.0 and i have just finished the hammer tutorial user added image

But i have te impression that the most people use 3D studio max! is that right, and why what du you guys think ?

before i used Caligari and caligari gamespace.
( www.caligari.com )

(__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 2 30-03-2006 , 05:13 PM
Well... Everyone's entitled to their opinions but I think comparing professional 3D packages is pointless. They're just tools with more or less similar features. I'd say learn one and stick to it. Once you get more proficient with it, you can see for yourself if some other package offers something that you just can't live without.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 30-03-2006 , 05:21 PM
ok. But whats being used for the more commercial stuff ??
wasn´t maya used for ice age ??
it just seems like 3d stuio max is the most "popular" program. But if i could choose i would definently choose maya, because its so easy to work with

(__/)
# 4 30-03-2006 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 5 30-03-2006 , 05:37 PM
Oh ok i didn´t realize sry dudes user added image

(__/)
# 6 30-03-2006 , 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Grev_Mivlos
ok. But whats being used for the more commercial stuff ??
wasn´t maya used for ice age ??
it just seems like 3d stuio max is the most "popular" program. But if i could choose i would definently choose maya, because its so easy to work with

Maya and Max are pretty well interchangable -- they're both used for the same amount of commercial applications (along with XSI to a small percent -- visible in Reboot and the other "Mainframe production" videos)

If you're trying to find out which is better, you're going to be disappointed in the answers you say because its going to be so conflicting due to each person's experiences. For example, I prefer maya by a long shot due to my crappy experiences with 3dStudioMax trial -- though I get into chats all the time with people who swear by it (and who rubbed it in my face when Alias was bought by Autodesk -- smacktards).

Again, again, again, again -- 3dsMax, Maya -- who cares? What can YOU produce with each?

# 7 30-03-2006 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber
i'd say if u're new to 3d try 3ds max, I've done both programs and for me 3ds max was simpler. However if u're switching and already have experience with 3d modeling then whichever app..

<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11595">Click</a> Desert Eagle
<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=4250#post4250">Click</a> Gas Lantern
<a href="https://forum.simplymax.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11714">Click</a> Gas Lantern
# 8 31-03-2006 , 01:59 PM
Well i have worked a little with caligari. ooold verisions and with gmax so.... but i think that, if i compare all the programs i have been working in maya is the most easy and (simple) one. it´s simple cuz u decide urself how simple i want it to be!! theres 100 of oppurtunities (sry for my crap spelling) and u can decide urself if u are going to tweak every little detail of ur work.

ps. We are moving atm so we are shutting down our internet so i wont be able to reply on Forums from the 1/4 06!! user added image
but when we get online again ill let u guys know user added image
btw. If it´s for some reason important u can still send me E-mails ill check them at school!!!

im new to this site and i allready love it!
Cheers to www.Simplymaya.com user added image :attn:

(__/)

Last edited by Grev_Mivlos; 31-03-2006 at 02:01 PM.
# 9 31-03-2006 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber
simplymaya kicks freaking assss!!!!!!!!!!!!

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!