Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-10-2002 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber

Interceting nurbs curves; does it work for you?

The "intersect curves" tool is still a mystery to me, as it apparently wont work with me.

So I would appreciate that someone could try this simple function and post the result here in this thread.

...And yes, I have read the help-file.

# 2 28-10-2002 , 09:14 AM
Strange .. I tried also, with no success. Although I pondered at the use of such a tool, to see which would be the most natural workflow associated with the tool, but can´t think of anything.

Perhaps care to enlighten me?

# 3 28-10-2002 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
I guess this tool can be used to construct complex nurbs work and other things, accuratly and simpler, by sketching up a set of curves/lines to help you out on the modeling.

Never the less, I'd want to be able to work with this tool in addition to the others that I have used so far.

# 4 28-10-2002 , 09:25 AM
Hmm, I get it now. Something like one of the research papers from A|W, electronic stretchtape for car designing or something, I suppose this would be the perfect example, but how to make it work?

Hmm ... this looks like my next gimbal lock. user added image

# 5 28-10-2002 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber

hmmm

That research paper sounds interesting.

Do you have the possibility to mail it to me? That would be nice adldesigner!
user added image

# 6 28-10-2002 , 09:54 AM
Hmm, seems to have worked. However I have trouble yet visualizing the usefulness of the technique. I mean, could a curve travel just like an Isoparm would do by using this technique? Or perhaps duplicate more curves and define a surface by using this intersection points?
If you get a clue or an effective way to make this tool usefull be sure to tell me how. user added image

# 7 28-10-2002 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber

Ok hehe

Can you also show/tell me how you made your result?

# 8 28-10-2002 , 10:14 AM
[working on it]

# 9 28-10-2002 , 10:28 AM
Ok, here´s how it worked.
  • Create both curves. Make sure you rebuild them to have the same number of spans. (perhaps this is needed, I always do it -for the sake of parametrization anyway-)
  • When creating both curves make sure you snap their first CVs, (like the image). I suppose this is some cheating way of making them intersect (since there is a real intersection going on at that point, but it seems to be the only way I could make it work.)
  • Now select both curves and apply the Intersect Curves Tool.

If you look closely, you can see I changed the tolerance setting there. Since I don´t know how to use the tool effectively I didn´t want to start playing with tolerances.

By the way, When you do it, pick whichever curve suits you more and move it. See how the intersection points move? Well, here´s the deal, You can point constrain a CV for a new curve to those intersection points! Great posibillities!

Last edited by adldesigner; 28-10-2002 at 10:31 AM.
# 10 28-10-2002 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber

oh one thing

It is of course the points that is interesting and helpful with this tool. Used with orthogonical views, one can add points actually onto a curve, not just one but several points symmetrically onto several curves.

I suppose I could save some trim-actions if things must be really accuratly modeled, so this tool could help me out on this.

But this yet, will all have to be experienced in a future project.

I cannot think of any examples right now user added image.

Last edited by undseth; 28-10-2002 at 10:38 AM.
# 11 28-10-2002 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber

hmm

I still dont get it, but I will now try this in Maya.

# 12 28-10-2002 , 10:39 AM

Re: oh one thing

Originally posted by undseth
I cannot think of any examples right now user added image.

Me neither .. lol.

At least now it does intersect the curves ... user added image

# 13 28-10-2002 , 11:20 AM
Supreme Being
this is actually very handy when patch modelin.. needs alot of patience though

# 14 28-10-2002 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber

Strrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike...

No Im not playing bowling...

I got it now hehe

:banana: :banana: :banana:

The history button MUST be turned off (or so I have learned just now), for the tool to present the wanted result.

:banana:

..added just now...
Or the history must be turned off before you make the curves, I did not check this for certain. Anyway, now it works.

Last edited by undseth; 28-10-2002 at 11:24 AM.
# 15 28-10-2002 , 11:38 AM
Supreme Being
thats correct undseth.. the history must be turned off when patch modelin'.. i don't recall why that is but, i'll look into it and let you know..