Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-01-2003 , 07:22 PM
Subscriber

compositing

hi all,
i was wondering how could composite a 3d dart in a 2d scene
and and what is the best app for it i have maya and after effects
i was thinking doing it straight in maya but i dont know how
or rendering the dart with an alpha channel and doing it after effects and still i dont know how..lol

so any help would much appreciated...
thanks

learneruser added image

# 2 08-01-2003 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately, my grammer skills are not up to par, so I don't know what composite means, however, I'll take a guess and assume you have modeled a dart in Maya and have a 2D image you want to put it in. The best application to do this sort of thing in is Photoshop. I don't know anything about After Effects, so I'll give you the Maya version.

First, create a plane and assign the image file to it as a texture. (right-click, click box beside colour tab, click file, browse for the image, load it, press 6 to display textures.) Now you have your image up. position a camera directly in front of the image and place your dart where ever you want.

If you have already taken a picture of the dart and have it saved to an image file, you can apply that image to a plane and use this tutorial to make the background go away.

https://www.rhonda.com/Maya_TopTen_02.html

Anyway, after you have everything how you want, you can either render it out and save it as an image file from the render window, or press Alt + Print Scrn in perspective view (copies the EnTiRe screen) then paste it onto a microsoft paint file or some other image program. *whew*

# 3 08-01-2003 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber
if its a ipcture, yeah, photoshop, if its a video, combustion, after effects, premiere, they can all do it, just take the alpha channel of the dart and u can "cut" the shape out and place it on ur 2d plate

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 09-01-2003 , 03:46 PM
You'll also need to colour correct, possably blur (depth), add shadows, make sure highlights are in the correct places ( same as in plate), match the films grain, etc... Basically you need to fit this cg image into a natural environment. Sometimes easy, but generally takes some finessing in your comp package. As far as which package to choose, it's the same as anything, they all have their strengths and weeknesses. If you've got afx infront of you, that's a competent enough package to do what you need. So go with what you've got.

# 5 10-01-2003 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber

Compositing

after effects, flint, combustion, or shake would be my suggestions. They are expensive, and require experience. If you haven't done it before try out after effects it's simpler especially if you have used photoshop.

# 6 10-01-2003 , 08:25 PM
Shake is v.easy to use I have only just started with it and it's a simple procedure to get started. Although obviously it's a lot harder to become a master at it.

I've tried after effects and shake and shake was a million times easier for me than after effects.

Just my twopence worth user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB