Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 22-07-2005 , 04:46 PM

Parti_Volume

Hi vedic

here is the link to the CGTalk forum where they were discussing how to use the Parti_Volume shader.
https://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...rti+Light+Maya

look about half way down the page for a Name called Digidim
he gives a brief description of what to do and also has a test scene to try out.

If you have any trouble give me a shout and ill see if i can help.

now, back to work for the weekend :attn:

# 17 22-07-2005 , 08:18 PM
hi all,

here is another quick update
https://www.mobius3.freeserve.co.uk/FnL_Comp/render3.jpg

Im still having trouble with fog, thought i had it figured out but now my Maya crashes all the time when i try to add fog with my volume lights :headbang:

Might have to do them seperate and then composite.

# 18 22-07-2005 , 08:55 PM
i don't use volumetric lights at all....
why you just don't use spot lights and fog light and increase the samples for the coneShape so you get decent resaults ..

try to throw a simple bump on the ground that it can show simple bump on the surface cuz the lights are higley effected it with it..

one more thing

I feel that the bump on the trees is little bit high

keep it up...

# 19 23-07-2005 , 09:45 PM
hi all,
Changed how i do my lighting again, have gone back to using light fog on a spotlight as i have started to get the hang of how to use it quickly and efficiently.

added a few more trees bushes etc.. just to see what the scene looks, going to add small patches of mist around the bottom of some trees.
https://www.mobius3.freeserve.co.uk/FnL_Comp/render4.jpg

will add bump to the ground later and also make a new human figure as the current one was an older model of mine just to help me test things

# 20 23-07-2005 , 10:46 PM
Wow, its looking really nice!!

Keep up the good work man! Oh and thanks for the link, it really help alotuser added image

# 21 25-07-2005 , 07:17 PM
added some colour and a couple more bushes,
Had a few problems with the fog and all the bushes so i have had to composite the image in photoshop.
https://www.mobius3.freeserve.co.uk/F...urRender01.jpg

not sure if i like it as much with colour, might desaturate it more so you dont notice it as much,
Any comments on what you guys think would be great.

# 22 25-07-2005 , 07:28 PM
Looking damn fine, reminds me of something out of the final fantasy games. I think the coloured version has the detail but the colour coming over the rise (from the chap in the light) seems either a little too strong or it needs to catch the low foliage more.

With the low light then I think only slight tints giving impressions of colour would be better. Only my humble opinion though and however it ends up it'll be truly fantastic user added image

# 23 25-07-2005 , 07:33 PM
oh and just relalised that the foreground hand overlaps the next demon's hand which makes it look like a spider or something.
Again just opinions as its lightwaves ahead of anything I could do user added image

# 24 26-07-2005 , 07:40 PM
quick update,

Im not really liking this much at the moment, cant seem to get it how i would like it:headbang:

https://www.mobius3.freeserve.co.uk/F...urRender02.jpg

any comments would be great.

I might change the focus so that the silhouette is out of focus and the trees closest are in focus.

# 25 26-07-2005 , 07:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
It's looking very promising!

# 26 26-07-2005 , 11:14 PM
Yeah very nice work so far man!!

Keep it up!

# 27 26-07-2005 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
Looks really good man. I like the grass in ColourRender01.jpg better. I think the hint of grass is all you need.

You have one hell of an imagination user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 28 27-07-2005 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber
seems a shame not to be able to see the detail you put into the textures. maybe a couple very week spotlights with a bluish tint could be set up as fill lights to reveal the texture and keep the mode.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 29 27-07-2005 , 08:17 AM
if you're using maya camera DOF I'd suggesting to put the F-stop higher. if you didn't know already the higher f-stop you have the lower the depthblur becomes meaning, less blur infront of and after the focalpoint... having said that, I think you should use the grass from the last image, just make it a bit darker maybe? and add a pinch oc yellow to it user added image user added image

# 30 27-07-2005 , 08:45 AM
nice work :-)

now I think you should focus on lighting and try to define your character more

good luck user added image