Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-02-2013 , 01:42 PM

importing obj files, renaming issues

Hey Guy,

I'm quite new here and quite experienced with blender (+vray) but recently i've started to use Maya and i've come across some small issues. One of these issues revolves around renaming objects..

For example, if something is named "car:mesh" i rename it to car, which Maya turns into car1 . . . if i then rename car1 to "car" i get "car2"

So i was wondering, how do i fix this? I don't see car1 or car2 as objects in my outliner and i'm trying to figure out where / how to find these nodes that exist out of nothing but NAMES.

Because there's no mesh data... so Maya creates somekind of empty node with the "car" name in it? How does this work? I need help!

Thanks in advance

user added image

# 2 11-02-2013 , 09:14 PM
You are having namespace issues. Research namespace in maya and you will get your answer. I would type more but I am on my iPhone so replying sucks.

# 3 11-02-2013 , 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
That's the thing, it doesn't have to be mesh, it could be a shader or another type of node, as long as they're in the same namespace this will happen.

Have the Outliner open, uncheck "DAG objects only", this shows you all nodes then type "car*" into the text input field. Anything with "car" in the name will show up.

Another quick way is to type:
Code:
select -r "car1";
in the command line and hit "Display>Reveal Selected" in the Outliner.

Your import options are probably set to create and use a namespace based on the imported file's name.

- Genny
# 4 14-02-2013 , 10:50 AM
tanx 4 the quick reply :-) i disabled the namespace feature