Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 27-08-2010 , 04:16 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
thanks bullet, did the body fariley quickley and have spent about an hour on the face, have to many freakin projects going on right now lol. Plan on putting a few aside and focusing on this one for a few days.

# 17 27-08-2010 , 05:38 PM
The thin red line
I must say you have a funny way of modelling the face but saying that if that is easier for you then all is well...........dave

# 18 28-08-2010 , 12:20 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah you sound just like me mate...I have about 20 on the go!! I should do 1 and leave the rest for a while too.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 29-08-2010 , 02:17 AM
haha now I dont feel so bad and yea I tried a different way dave and it didnt turn out so good, but this way I like a lot.

Got a little more but here is a wire render

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 17-09-2010 , 06:50 PM
So I had a lot going on between work and school, dont know if im going to be able to finish in time but here is the almost finished head (before zbrush).

FrontPresp

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 17-09-2010 , 06:51 PM
BackPresp, I need to work on the ear for sure and the back of the head...nose looks kind of funky also...need to do all of this before i goto zbrush i would assume

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 17-09-2010 , 09:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeh mate..the ear needs a lift. Z will do it for you but I would still try to shape it a little more...then the less you have to worry about in Z.

Looks good mate....the front looks kindapointy to me...where the 2 halves of the face join??

cheera bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 23 17-09-2010 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
Have you used ZBrush much before Oz? Are you planning on using displacement/normal maps and bringing him back to Maya after Zbrush?

I ask because I was going to say how I find Zbrush so good and quick at sorting problems that Ive come to the frame of mind that you really dont need to spend too much time in Maya, but, I always have trouble when bringing z-maps back to Maya, and maybe it's because I dont spend enough time there...

# 24 19-09-2010 , 05:20 AM
thanks bullet, yea it is kind of point where the 2 halves meet.

Ben, i have a little bit of experience in Z, I actually plan on using this as a chance to get more familiar with disp/normal maps so I want to make sure that the mesh is clean and ready in Maya before I go to Z. I will more than likely bring it back into Maya also...still wanna learn how to rig and my last character wasn't modeled so cleanly.

# 25 10-10-2010 , 05:43 AM
So I am in zBrush with my char now, I have started doing proportional adjustments and was curious, should I start with the anatomy of a human before jumping in and sculpting the rest? or should I just go for it.

# 26 10-10-2010 , 09:15 AM
Lifetime Member
go for it!!

bullet1968

# 27 10-10-2010 , 10:57 AM
Well I had about 30 minutes to spare at work so I started working on it....was hoping to get a little more but no such luck. I want to try and get some more done today but going to a wedding so also dont think thats going to happen...anyway here is my progress so far.

Imported maya mesh (few tweaks already in Z)

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 10-10-2010 , 10:57 AM
And this is as far as I got before I had to go back to work user added image

Its higher res than im working in, figured it would look a little nicer

Also if anyone knows of a good tutorial for making cloths in Z I would love a link, I also need to figure out how to close the mouth since you cant see it anyway...I think i need to spend more time in Z to figure out how to do all of this stuff...or plan out my models better lol

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Ozgalis; 10-10-2010 at 11:00 AM.