Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-03-2005 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber

Do you think I'll be needing to do some light linking?

Hey there all,
Just wondering if you think I will be needing to do some light linking in this scene? Previously I had posted my question in the forum, but Pure_Morning had mention that this scene looks flat because there are too many lights. I have been reworking on this scene tring to use some spot lights and area lights, and directional lights. The problem though I have been noticing that using very wide spot lights ect., is hitting a couple wrong areas as well as hitting some of the cabinets more than once when all I was tring to do is fill in some light on to the walls.

I haven't got a chance of saving my new updates though here is an older version.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-03-2005 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
I have some reference material I'd like to send you...
Pls, e-mail or message me.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 17-03-2005 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber
Hi,
I did some more tweeking, though still having some troubles. What I did to show you my examples is the pic on the left is what comes from the render, and the pic on the right is the adjustments in Photoshop of how much more color I want in the scene. So my question is there any way I can adjust the color without messing up with the lighting? What I mean by this is if I change the color of the light, it doesn't just change the color. It also makes the room much more darker too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 18-03-2005 , 06:41 AM
Subscriber

I think I got it

Well,
I haven't got the saturation of the image look the way I want it, but as a whole I think I got the lighting prettyy accurate. So what do you guys think. And I don't mean to be rude, but I am more looking for if you think this would finish the lighting part, as oppose to it's getting better. Meaning if you only think that it is getting better then what do you think needs fixing?

... oh and btw, please ignore the body part of the flourecent light. I am not too sure what happened to it but I know that I need to work on it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 21-03-2005 , 01:31 PM
it is getting there but the saturation of the wood objects is way off. What did you adjust in the shader? It looks like you may have just upped the diffuse or ambient which isn't really the way to go about it user added image

As for the lighting I'm not sure, it just doesn't feel right at the moment. Maybe it's worth you doing the modelling first (which is what you're really supposed to do user added image ) so that you can see how you're lighting works with the real objects you're planning on using.

The textures are temporary right? user added image

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 24-03-2005 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
it is getting there but the saturation of the wood objects is way off. What did you adjust in the shader? It looks like you may have just upped the diffuse or ambient which isn't really the way to go about it user added image

No the wood shader is a default blinn except that the cabinet door shader I increased the color offset because for some reason when I assigned the same shader between the cabinets and its' doors, it came out to flat and you couldn't see the seperation between the doors and the cabinets.

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
As for the lighting I'm not sure, it just doesn't feel right at the moment. Maybe it's worth you doing the modelling first (which is what you're really supposed to do user added image ) so that you can see how you're lighting works with the real objects you're planning on using.

I have to agree on continueing to model which I have been doing. Also I have found a book on the internet called "3D Lighting: history, concepts, and techniques" which it includes indoor lighting. So I am waiting for that to be shipped. Also I have purchased a book called "Maya 5 Fundemntals" which gives examples of using a lot of low intensity point lights, and to increase the dmap filter so that it doesn't cast a lot of sharp shadows. In addition to the lighting not giving the right feeling I think that it also has to do with the wall textures casuing the problems as well. In my opinion, the walls seem like their a little blurry. And I also had mention in here asking if there was any way I could just adjust the saturation through Maya, or should I just increase the textures saturation in PS?

Anywho, for now I am holding off on the lighting until I get all my details done and when I get the "3D Lighting: History, Concepts, and Techniques" book.

Thanks for the help dudes.