Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-05-2008 , 03:49 PM

citrics modelling

hy. I have big question. What bump map should I use to get detailed pores that oranges or lemon have ? I need this on a lemon actually. I made the lemon, now I only need the pores. I have used a bump map but I get really poor results. I attached the bump map so you can tell me what is wrong. please anyone help me get those detailed pores I need a close up of the lemon. Thank you a lot.

Attached Images
# 2 23-05-2008 , 09:30 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
The reason your not getting the desired results with this bump map, is the simplicity of it. At the moment your bump map will simply put small holes on the surface of your lemon, whereas an actual lemon has a rougher surface. With a much more lumpy surface.

Try this: (make any edits you need to it to gain the desired results.)

Attached Images

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 24-05-2008 , 08:44 AM
you gave me an excellent bump map thank you !!!! but please tell me how to fix this problem: I want the bump map to be the same size everywhere. I attached the screen shots. at the tip, where all the isoparms meet, there are many points but very little and in the middle few and big. Please help me. Also how to make the bump map repeat more times on the lemon. Thank you a lot !!

user added image

user added image

# 4 24-05-2008 , 12:27 PM
I beg you help !

# 5 24-05-2008 , 12:40 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
When this texture is applied to the bump mapping parameter of a shader node, such as Blinn. The texture doesn't get pinched as yours has. So I think it's because you have too many isoparms all coming together at that one point.
Try building the lemom with allot less isoparms.

To make your texture repeat, do this to your Texture placement node:

Attached Thumbnails

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 6 24-05-2008 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
I'd say just go model it in ploygons, then UV map it and then smooth it out any way u like user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 7 25-05-2008 , 01:32 PM
You could rebuild the surface to give it less isoparms, or convert it to polygons to give you more control over the UVs,

cheers

gubar