Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 11-09-2008 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber
as ived said before the modeling looks great, though the choice of colour isnt that great in my opinion. i would have gone with much more brighter colours, and maybe add in some vinyls/text/sponsors for a more of an extreme bicycling look user added image

anyway thats my two cents...

# 17 12-09-2008 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the input, I am working on the logos etc at the moment, I am not so good with the old hypershade and it is taking me a while, will get there soon though - I hope. Back at work now and progress has slowed.

The colour of the frame is an approximation of the original bike, may take your advice and use some artistic license.

# 18 12-09-2008 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
Yep, certainly looks a lot better in a brighter colour! Still needs more logos (front forks, rear sus rig, wheel rims and tyres). Then a dirt map. And some lights. Man, rendering is complicated :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 13-09-2008 , 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
This color scheme looks a lot better, more sporty looking. Though I don't know about the tire shader.

- Genny
# 20 13-09-2008 , 01:22 PM
The Nurb Herd
did you turn off the default lighting? also imo you should hide the visibility of the hdri.

# 21 14-09-2008 , 12:05 AM
You should blur the reflections in the metal shader, now it looks like it's rapped in plastic.

# 22 15-09-2008 , 08:56 AM
Subscriber
Putting all those decals on was a long task - tried different methods including making a full UV map exporting to photoshop and then mapping. I also tried to use the color_mix mr node for some of it and tweak the place 2D texture node to get the positioning, this seemed to actually take longer but was useful for areas where the decals were small and helped keep their detail better (I think!).

going to spend a bit of time now getting the shaders just the way I want. Getting to know the mia_meterial fairly well now.

DJbLAZER - blurred reflections on their way! - I want to keep the reflectiveness on the fork pistons (they are covered in a thin layer of oil) and the red paintwork

hammer.horror - the default light was off on the previous render - what was showing up that made it look like it was still on? also, how do you hide visibility on the HDR image?

Thanks everyone.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 17-09-2008 , 12:33 PM
The Nurb Herd
select the hdri sphere, then go to its atributes and under render stats un check primary visibility. user added image

# 24 21-09-2008 , 07:29 PM
hey looking good very nice modelling job just a small few things with ur textues and shaders like everyone has said but when you clear them up ull have a very nice piece. Also start thinking about a scen for it example, backdrops etc.

# 25 27-09-2008 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
I think I have reached as much as I am going to do (for the time being) with this project. Not a completed work yet and I feel I am wimping out a bit. Some of the shaders still need a bit of work (the front forks, the leather texture on the saddle etc) and a decent background.

This was primarily an exercise in discovering my strengths and weaknesses to direct my future learning.

What went well :

I think the modelling turned out pretty good, got the feel of using curves, duplication and extruding and a start with poly and some sub-D modelling. Will try to reduce the poly count next time as it makes the veiwport updates pretty slow (there is > 1 million polys on the bike) and maya becomes unstable at times too.

UV mapping went OK, pretty basic shapes overall but a complex overall composition.

My textures are pretty basic but have begun to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the MR materials. Started to use the AO, rounded corners etc.

Future learning :

Lighting and environments. This project has been killed a bit by the lack of atmosphere in my current composition (which is why I may come back to it after some more practice). Some trees, rocks, grass would have added to it and a decent sky (so I could actually show it). The current lighting is the HDRi via FG and a single large area light with the physical light shader.

More complex textures. I really struggled with the hypershade and need to really sit down and work out how to put together a proper shader network, I think this would allow "deeper" more realistic textures and take away some of the "clean-ness" on the composition as it stands.

I have just got Boaz Livny's mental ray for maya book and I am hoping this will deepen my understanding of MR. If anyone knows any good MR in hypershade tutorials for layering etc, let me know.

Thanks again for everyones help and I will post again when I get underway with the next project.

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 01-10-2008 , 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
I think it turned out pretty well especially for something you're "wimping out" on lol. Needless to say, I'm not crazy about the ground texture.

- Genny