Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-04-2003 , 10:41 PM

Help with polygon splitting and vertice adding

Hello ^__^ I'm not very experience in modeling and I'm following a tutorial on how to build a human..so far so good, but now I have to combine 2 parts, the torso and the leg at the joint. In the process, I have to add some vertices and am supposed to use the polygon split tool to make new faces, as well as delete unused ones. I need help with making new vertices, but mostly with the polygon split tool. I veiwed the video tut from this site, and it helped a little, but I'm still confused..Any help would be appreciated.

Help!

# 2 22-04-2003 , 11:25 PM
Hello, Elle
Welcome to SimplyMaya

I´m confused, what is your problem?
-Link´s broken-

# 3 23-04-2003 , 12:30 AM
Subscriber
ok, the poly split tool:
you select the tool, and on ur object you click on an edge, then click on another edge and uve created ur new edge, this creates more faces because it splits up an existing face

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 4 23-04-2003 , 01:36 AM
Ack! Sorry about the broken link..put .jpg in the html instead of .JPG..so picky, that html is O__o..anyway..

I appreciate your help, but I understand what the split polygon tool does. Now that you all can see the image of what I need to do, maybe you could help some more ^__^''

Well, I basically need to attach the leg to the torso, while minimizing the overlapping, except on the joint area. I'd like to know how I would create vertices and delete some faces to make it flow like an actual leg to torso. You see how the torse overlaps the leg and forms a 90 degree angle? Well, to get this to be flowing, which faces/edges do you think I should slice or get rid of. I was looking at it a bit more, and thought maybe moving some vertices might work, but I think that would maybe mess up the form. I'm a complete n00b...this is my first model.

# 5 23-04-2003 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
if its polys you can delete a lot of the verts which are inside the body, move verts so theyre directly ontop of each other and combine the 2 shapes
i know thats now what you want, but im stuffed for ideas at 3 in the morning, soz user added image

- Simon

# 6 23-04-2003 , 05:26 AM
Subscriber
okay does this help?

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 23-04-2003 at 05:29 AM.
# 7 23-04-2003 , 09:27 AM
Subscriber
certainly more efficient than my way user added image very nice vectorman user added image

- Simon

# 8 23-04-2003 , 02:54 PM
Ah! **huggles vectorman** Yes, it helps very much! Thank you!

# 9 23-04-2003 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
YAY!!!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2