Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 151 14-09-2003 , 05:19 PM
# 152 16-09-2003 , 04:11 PM
Ok, still the same software rendering but with few particle enhancements (<- wishful thinking :p):
- Changed the rain direction to better match the wind direction
- Added some foam around the ship (which I'll make to leave a long trail behind)
- Added a splash when the ship hits the first bigger wave

Attached Files
File Type: zip agclip1preview5.zip (1.57 MB, 161 views)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 153 16-09-2003 , 04:52 PM
Dude!!! That fricken ROCKS! Lookin GREAT now!

Gotta ask, how long do your elements take to render?

Mainly I'm interested in the ocean surface combined with the expression-driven foam, but any numbers will calm me downuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 154 16-09-2003 , 07:14 PM
Thanks rage!

Rendering the ocean nor the hardware particles isn't the most time consuming part (rendering the ship is much slower). It's running the particle disc cache which is slow because by default maya wants to cache all particles and all of their attributes at once. After caching things are easier to handle.

I'm currently working on a mel GUI which utilizes the dynExport command so I can cache the particles separately -> should make life a lot easier...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 155 16-09-2003 , 07:20 PM
Last night I rendered 72 frames containing only the ship. I rendered diffuse and specular passes. Also before rendering I deleted all obsolete shadow maps so they were generated as well (<- takes a lot of time). Total time for render was (hh:mm:ss): 06:32:54.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 156 17-09-2003 , 05:08 AM
WOW!

What resolution did you render out to? D1 PAL? or?

For all that you have going on, that's not a bad render time at all.
Esspecialy for more than one passuser added image

Rock on m8!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 157 17-09-2003 , 05:45 AM
hey it looks great but that ocean still looks hard and the color of the boat still looks cartoonlike but its still great wish i could do some thing like that

cyaah!!
# 158 17-09-2003 , 07:31 AM

Originally posted by ragecgi
WOW!

What resolution did you render out to? D1 PAL? or?

640 x 360(16:9) @ 25 fps, production quality, no ray-tracing or motion blur. I will render the final version as 720x432 with 1,067 pixel aspect ratio (16:9 PAL DV) (someone correct me if these numbers are wrong). I have a dual athlon 2000+ machine w/ 1GB of ram.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 17-09-2003 at 07:37 AM.
# 159 17-09-2003 , 03:20 PM
Can't wait m8!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 160 25-09-2003 , 05:47 PM
Reworked all particles. Changed the overall color scheme to bit lighter and less saturated. Fixed the water penetrating through the deck. The lights on the boat are now affecting the ocean. I also set some of them shaking as the boat hits the waves. This will be more obvious in future shots (thanks fredriksson for the idea).

I am about to call this first clip finished unless someone points out something.

Attached Files
File Type: zip agclip1preview6.zip (1.22 MB, 147 views)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 161 25-09-2003 , 06:02 PM
It might just be my poor eyesight, but I dont get the impression that the front spotlights cast their light on the waves. Is that still to do, or am I blind?

# 162 25-09-2003 , 06:04 PM
They are casting light on the waves but I think it's covered with particles or something. Gotta check on that, thanks...

EDIT: D'oh... No they are not casting light while they should. I've propably forgotten to include them in the pass they should be in. Thanks again. Putting this in to the todo list.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Last edited by kbrown; 25-09-2003 at 06:07 PM.
# 163 25-09-2003 , 07:27 PM
Heya bud, excellent stuff.

Perhaps throw a blue cast on the colores of the boat? I find it somewhat strange that with the environment presented, the boat still almost glows with the green.

The lights look mighty impressive, and I´m looking forward for more updates on this piece.

# 164 26-09-2003 , 02:49 AM
Subscriber
i think this piece has become really impressive over the months i've watched you improve it. weight motion lighting modeling everything really top.

moving up in standard then necessarily makes critique get pickier.

Now that I look at it i feel like the waves are coming directly in a straight line at the boat which gives it a real cg feel. Compositionally it looks a little to regular to be a force of nature. I feel like there needs to be some random action in the waves to counteract the straight rigidity of the boat.

I just spent the last 2 weeks hiking the canadian west coast and I watched a lot of waves and i remember the lines being more random. even when really long surf breaks the peak doesn't crash all in one line.

this is an excellent project - looking forward to more user added image

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 165 26-09-2003 , 09:45 AM

Originally posted by ereitz
Now that I look at it i feel like the waves are coming directly in a straight line at the boat which gives it a real cg feel.

Yes, I know and I hate it too. There was a reason why I had to do it like this but I can't remember what it was. Can't go back now to change it since it would affect so many other stuff user added image

Anyway, I fixed the two things adl and icarus mentioned. Here's a shot. Any better?

Attached Thumbnails

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB