Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-01-2007 , 10:12 AM
Subscriber

My take on the tree frog tutorial

Following Kurt's great tree frog tutorial here is my take on it.

I consider 3D as my hobby and have purchased many tutorials on all the simply sites.

I use softimage xsi. However, considering that the simply sites are considering a merger and with the addition of tutorials for xsi amongst others I thought I could post user added image

user added image
user added image

# 2 23-01-2007 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
very nice. One question, when Kurt uses nurbs to start off for the shape, are you doing that in XSI or are you using a poly shape.

# 3 23-01-2007 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by 99GsTurbo
very nice. One question, when Kurt uses nurbs to start off for the shape, are you doing that in XSI or are you using a poly shape.

cheers!....I use a poly sphere with a bit of subd on it and treat at as if a nurbs, works well.

# 4 23-01-2007 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
ohh nice, i enver throught about trying it that way. i gotta give it a try. cheers for xsi, it looks good man, cant wait to see it finished

# 5 25-01-2007 , 09:26 AM
Subscriber
I suppose I can give myself some feedback here, abdomen has a decent degree of form but perhaps the mouth area is too much like a reptile?

Any feedback guys? Is it the XSI word? user added image

# 6 25-01-2007 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
Pretty much nailed it there mate. user added image

I think the top of the mouth should be a little rounder... just a bit of soft tweaking should do it around where the gum line would be. And maybe the jaw is a little pointy. Other than that, legs look cool and looks like a clean model from what I can see. Good job.

:attn:

# 7 25-01-2007 , 08:07 PM
Looks really good, not too sure about anything thats not anatomically correct as im, not up on my tree frogs!

Have you googled it just to see some images, as reference is king when doing anything organic, or anything thats real to be honest.

I think that you might be able to clean up the "nose" area a bit as it seems you've got a few polys that might not be doing much (think this is because you used a sphere a the starting point)

If your going to texture him, I saw a tutorial on texturing a frog on highend3d, heres the link

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutori...ray/307-2.html

It's a different type of frog but i'm sure that you can adapt it to yours.

Also think thst seeing him walk, jupm, climb would be really cool too!

Looking forward to some updates

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 26-01-2007 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback guys, that has been useful. Will work on him a little more before I set up uv's. Next time I will keep the mesh a little looser at the nose end, will watch how Kurt goes about this again.

Got loads of photo's and the more I look at them the more I see the form of the frog.

Thanks for the link to the other frog tutorial

user added image