Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-10-2013 , 02:11 PM

Lights problem when exporting in .obj

Hello everyone!

Im new here and also in maya so forgive my noobness.

I just made a simple model of an ukulele in maya 2012 and i want to export as .obj to Photoshop to use it as custom particle in After Effect. I just did it for the past with other models and I had no issues since now.

user added image

user added image

As you can see in maya it renders with no problem but when i load in PP i get this wierd transparency/reflection...im 90% sure I mess up with the lights or maybe the material options...

any suggestions? user added image

No texture we used, just colored the materials.
If i try to do the same thing with other project it works fine

# 2 02-10-2013 , 06:08 PM
Technical Director
It's because your top piece of geometry is an n-gon (number of edges for the face is greater than 4). You need to either fix the geometry by making the number of edges less, or by triangulating your surface; however this makes it more difficult to modify later.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 02-10-2013 , 07:44 PM
ok, i've rebuil the entire body using a single rectangular polygon with all faces with 4 edges.
The "diamond shaped shadow" on top is gone but i still get the others in the edge and also the vertical faces of the body became a mess, some are black, some gray and some totally transparent <_<

I've done lot of tries changing the materials in the hipershade but nothing.

Also, if you notice the top right side, the neck is a single piece, a simple rectangle but still i get a shadow in the middle.

It is not a bug because I tried with maya for both mac and win and also different version of PS for both mac and win. Same results