Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-10-2004 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber

Lightwave

Guys

What is your opinion on Lightwave?

Is it up there with Maya or down with Paint that come with XP?

DW

# 2 21-10-2004 , 02:08 PM

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 21-10-2004 , 03:15 PM
Subscriber
More of opinions i am looking for guys....

# 4 21-10-2004 , 04:53 PM
Yes, it's comparable, along with Max, Maya, XSI, etc. I just gave you the link so you could see some of the work done with it....Maya is more robust for Film production pipelines and very customizable which is where it shines. LW has been used for years in the industry, especially for tv (think Jimmy Neutron, Hercules, Xena, Babylon 5, etc). Has a really nice renderer. All the apps I mentioned do more or less the same thing in different ways. For example, with Maya everything is integrated into one workflow. With LW, you have separate modes - the modeller, the renderer, etc.

Modeling techniques are the same...it's just a matter of learning the way each app handles it. It's give-and-take as to how some things will be better in one app than the other. Just read up on the software, dowload demos, look at some tutorials and see what you gravitate towards.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 21-10-2004 , 05:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
I've not used LW myself, but most people I've talked to who have say it's the best modeling software. Other aspects aren't quite as good as others.

# 6 21-10-2004 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
thanks guys - i would prefere to stick with maya but i have just bought myself a mac and i cant afford to buy maya 6 unlimited for it.

# 7 21-10-2004 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
I use Maya, LW, Softimage, Modo, and Max 3d in my job, in addition to using After Effects and Photoshop along with a few other adobe products.

Right now, LW is my favorite modeling application, which is what I do the most of, with Modo a close second. LW does have a quite powerful renderer, but it does have some funky behavior, such as reflections of a dark object on a light background for example. I finid it meets about 90 percent of what my clients need.

Its not wonderfully strong, although getting stronger, on character animation.

On Arch/Previz, which I also do a great deal of, again I do the modeling in LW primarily.

It's funny though, when I model for fun, more often than not, I'm using Maya or Max. Just depends on what I want to make and how I want it to come out in the end.

Hope these opinions help.

Hoop

# 8 22-10-2004 , 06:58 AM
Subscriber
Thanks all vey usful info.