Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-01-2005 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber

Battle Chess

Once upon a time, in the good old days (hehe), I used to play a game called Battle Chess, where each piece would do something funny if they took out an opposing piece.. which made me want to replicate this, not as a game (at least not right now), but rather as an animation of sorts, to add to my showreel.

The first piece is (almost) done, it's the knight ("horse" in my native language)... C&C welcome. All the pieces are supposed to be 100% marble, so even though some have weapons, armor etc it all has to look like stone.

(image.. I hope)
user added image

currently working on the bishop.. not being a native English speaker, I'm not 100% sure about the names of each piece, so could anyone tell me if these are the right names:

Pawn (each have 8 of these)
Knight
Bishop
Rook (the "tower")
Queen
King

so, as I said C&C regarding the knight welcome!

Last edited by MixX; 10-05-2006 at 03:53 PM.
# 2 20-01-2005 , 05:15 PM
Yes, in the native "chess" language, those are the names, some people call em castle and horse but yea you got the names right, looks pretty cool

# 3 20-01-2005 , 05:29 PM
Subscriber
Nice Chess piece.. very original
I also used to love battle chess

# 4 20-01-2005 , 06:46 PM
Subscriber
Good ol' battle chess, cutting edge in its day you know!!

Nice model, can't wait to see the rest of the set. what is that shader you are using?

Good luck,

Mat.

# 5 20-01-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the compliments guys! It was a great game.. I used to spend hours playing the game just so I could see each different kind of piece kill all the other types..

The shader is a marble effect I put together myself, since I try to make them myself whenever possible.. it makes it easier to tweak 'em that way.

Here's the Bishop..

user added image

# 6 25-01-2005 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
and the pawn... it's a bit hard to see in this shot, but it has a spear. I thought about giving him a sword but I think I'm going to have a different weapon for each piece... once again, C&C most welcome!
user added image

------------------------------------------------
Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
# 7 26-01-2005 , 01:09 AM
cant say ive ever played the game but this project looks very promising. so far it looks great, the only thing i notice is that on the bishop the texture looks really hard, on the pawn its a little smoother and soft (sorry cant think of a better way to describe it) you should soften out the bishop's textures i think.

# 8 26-01-2005 , 11:41 AM
Subscriber
The texture looks different (it´s very visible on the rook, below) because each piece is in a different scene and they´re all slightly different in size, lighting etc... once all the pieces are done, I´m going to have them all in one scene, and sized properly so that they´ll be more alike. Thanks for pointing it out, much appreciated. Here´s the Rook (or Castle). He´s the Heavyweighter of this bunch, using only his arms (the towers) for weapons. Just the King and Queen left now user added image

user added image

edit: sorry for the large image, will scale it down once I come home but the computer here has suffered a temporary Photoshop blackout...

edit 2: changed image

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle

Last edited by MixX; 26-01-2005 at 01:25 PM.
# 9 26-01-2005 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber
Great original designs bud

# 10 27-01-2005 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
Here´s the WIP of the Queen... I´m not sure what kind of weapon to give her, or whether to use a weapon at all, I´m tempted to make her a magic user just like in the original Battle Chess. If anyone has an idea please share it user added image

Queen WIP (it´s not posed yet, since that will depend on what weapon, if any, she will end up with).

user added image

ps. she's supposed to look very feminine in the classic sense, ie not too skinny...

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 11 27-01-2005 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber
Fantastic looking queen... Any chance of seeing a wireframe of the unsmoothed model ?

I also would have her as a magic user

# 12 27-01-2005 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, once again user added image

Here's the Wireframe of the unsmoothed queen:

(thumbnail, click for large version)
user added image

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 13 27-01-2005 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
Looking very nice, are you going to post the animation as and when it's complete?

About the Queen, I say magic user too! Keep it up,

Mat.

# 14 27-01-2005 , 06:49 PM
anyone wanting to see the game i found a link to a download. https://www.chesscentral.com/chess_do...ttle_chess.htm im pretty sure its not warez so i dont think its a problem. also not sure if it works yet i just finished downloadin.

edit: doesnt seem to want to extract right...could just be my comp tho.

Last edited by Element_Khaos; 27-01-2005 at 06:55 PM.
# 15 27-01-2005 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
nice! the new edition features animated 3D pieces, as well. And many of the pieces seem very similar to mine.. but then, they all have to retain the "feel" of whatever chess piece they are, so I suppose that kinda limits what you can do... anyway, Battle Chess was my inspiration for this project (the old version) so I think I will make the Queen a magic user.

And Mat: thanks, yes once this is all done I'm going to post it on my website, it hasn't got much content yet but I'm going for quality over quantity as much as time allows hehe user added image

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle