Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 76 13-10-2005 , 02:26 AM
The details are looking mighty fine, Tim!

# 77 13-10-2005 , 07:48 AM
Subscriber
I drove thru Essex once.

Looks good Tim, alot of details, very nice.

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 78 13-10-2005 , 08:40 AM
WOW awsome work im enjoying a lot this work man congratulations!!

Great modeling, details and geometry has been achived so far, Keep the work

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship
# 79 14-10-2005 , 09:24 AM
Subscriber
i just admire this work,the attention to detail that Timlivid is coming out with is outstanding...

Oh yeah i forgot to say i once went to a boozer in Cheltenham once (thats in Essex, i think it was called Albie's) user added image

# 80 14-10-2005 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments. It's good to know that there are others that think I can work Maya to a certain degree. Especially considering my position at my current job is a bit unstable.

The reason why I ask about Essex is because I am help with a party night at the Essex University Underground club on the 16th of December. I made and animated the VJ's logo which will be shown for the first time there (for about an hour while the punters come in an get settled). Then I will also be manning the camera which will have a live feed into the projector.

Should be a good night to be honest. user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 81 24-10-2005 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
Well my time at the moment is mixed betweed doing this model, doing some Premiere work to get this Logo ready for December and looking for a new job. I do have one pic to post. It's of the rigging on the Mizzen (the one at the back) mast. Im at a stage where I don't know if I should do any more to be honest cos I could spend forever modelling roap when I want to be getting on doing the other masts and then onto texturing the thing. After that I will Go back and add more detialo to the different decks if I really want to but Im in the mood to have this finished as soon as possible.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 82 24-10-2005 , 05:55 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hey Tim

Ive not posted on this for a while, I have no excuse but for bone idleness!! its really looking cool, excellent details, I think you done a grand job.

Are you looking forward to texturing?

Cheers
Jay

# 83 25-10-2005 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
Well to be honest I am a little worried about the whole idea. I have a tendency to ruin my good models with half arsed textures.

I am going down to Portsmounth this weekend to have a look at the real thing and just take loads of digital photo's. These will be the basis for my textures.

I'll just have to do one texture till im happy with it and then move on to the next.

Any suggestion would be great though. user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 84 26-10-2005 , 09:06 AM
Even if you're worried about the textures not doing the model justice, a few clay renders should show it off really well.
Great model and an admirable attention to detail, I just wouldn't have the patience user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 85 26-10-2005 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
I've been watching this with interest since my last post, although I haven't said anything.

It really is a great looking model, and I'm sure the textures will turn out well and do the model justice.

Do I remember correctly in thinking that you mentioned that you might do an animation with the model when it is finished? If so, I've been working on a script about Trafalgar, based on letters and diaries from people that fought there. Maybe I could trim it down a bit for you and we could collaborate on something?

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 86 04-11-2005 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber
That sounds interesting. There is still much to be done thought. The reason I have not posted of put any progress on this lately is that I have just come back from Portsmouth with my girlfriend to see the real HMS Victory.

No matter what I was expecting nothing could have prepared me for what I felt when I actually say her there. Getting to go inside was amazing and I would recomend to anyone who had the chance to do it. I took over 100 photo's the help me with the texturing. I also went to the desplays and looked and read everything.

Also had a look at the HMS Warrior, the first all metal boat built by the Victoriansa. Very impressive, a lot of clever technology wen't into it's construction but to be honest you can't beat the personality and character of the Victory.

Seeing her there decked out in all her glory has giving me a new wave of enthusiams to do this project right and to do her justice.

:attn:

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 87 24-11-2005 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber
Well I just thought I would keep poeple updated as to where I was with this. I haven't been able to post for a while cos I have been really rushed at work, but I have sorted that little problem out now.

Right now I am working on one of the hardest bits for me, the stern (the back). The problem I had was that is has a lot of nice detial and carving work. In the end I found a little solution. I projected the reference photo onto a plane and just cut around it. That way it is loy poly and quick to make, but it also gives the impression of having some depth rather than just being a flat texture. The bit I am working on right now is the crest on the top of the stern. I will give you guys a close up later.

As always, comments and critism are always welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 88 24-11-2005 , 11:59 AM
Subscriber
This is just a shot to show you where I am with the masts, I have done the Mizzen and the Main mast with all their rigging. I have decided not to do the with sails. I might do some time in the future but not for my showreel.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 89 24-11-2005 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
This was also a tricky bit because I couldn't see what was meant to be going where and all that. I think i've pretty much got it, but it will look better once it is textured of course.

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 90 24-11-2005 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
This is the crest, quite fun to be modelling weapons again user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog