Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 91 24-11-2005 , 12:19 PM
Subscriber
This is the refernce photo I took when I went down to Portsmouth with my girfriend.

Attached Thumbnails

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 92 25-11-2005 , 02:52 AM
sweet mother, ok now i'm really going to learn how to utilize this software thanks tim, love the ship shesh

# 93 25-11-2005 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber
This ship is more about paticence I think and just trying to keep try of what you have done and what needs to be done. I still think texturing will be the most interesting part.

Not long now though :attn:

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 94 25-11-2005 , 11:12 PM
That is really awesome... I think you have something to do on your free time for the next two years at least user added image

# 95 26-11-2005 , 03:42 AM
wow man! you're still at it...
user added image for your patience...
its a beautiful model. and the one with the most intricate detail i've seen in a long time.

# 96 03-12-2005 , 08:24 AM
I love the rope work... not to mention this has turned in to a bit of a history lesson as well.

VD

# 97 04-12-2005 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
Well I had no idea about this period and the ships they used before starting so it has been an interesting jurney for me as well.

More updates coming soon.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 98 06-12-2005 , 01:54 PM
Allways good coming here and your progress!!

When we are doing something unknow as you mentioned previous, is quit fun and hard to harvest the internet and other resources for infos user added image BUT IS WORTH IT

Take care

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship
# 99 06-12-2005 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber
This is very true, I have had to do a lot to get this far. I have even had to drive to to the actual ship for help. Should be worth it when I finally finish.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 100 06-12-2005 , 10:22 PM
Yhea true is realy worth it user added image the work you are doing is amazing.

user added image

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship
# 101 07-12-2005 , 06:48 PM
Subscriber
Hey mate, just like to say, this really is awesome...

really doing well for such a huge project... how do you keep yourself motivated to finish it!!??

Very admirable!

Just a quick question... I take it you've used curves quite alot throughout this model... Is there any trick to drawing the curves in place (ot do you draw then reposition and tweek)... or any tips you can pass on... i'm working on a ship too, but finding the process very tedious... any tips you could give for speeding up the modeling process. I'm currently modeling the rigging and pulleys at the bottom.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Jamie.

Last edited by jhaydock; 07-12-2005 at 09:37 PM.
# 102 14-12-2005 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
Tim, this is looking awesome. With all the detail looks like it might be a bear to texture.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 103 15-12-2005 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
In responce to jhaydock, umm yer I did use a fair bit of curves. I have good referenhce planes which are key. I have posted the ones I used below. The good thinks about them is that you can draw them from the front and because they are numbered you then can move them in the side to the right position. After that you loft and see if it looks right. Then I think about tweeking.

As for motivation, I have a girlfriend who wants me to get a good job out of it and then move out. :p

I have started textureing, I only have the figurehead to do but I will leave that for a bit. I'm mainly a modeller so my textureing has started a new thread in the texturing section. It's not going to look that good but it will only bee seen for a little distance (I have partly worked out the camera motion for my showreel). The better I get over time the more I will come back to this project and improve on it.

Shame really but there you go.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 104 23-12-2005 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
As it is soon christmas I thought I would post a little picture (slightly related to the HMS Victory WIP) but one that doesn't require you to think, or to muse over.

Just a bit of whimsy from the cold coast of Portsmouth. So anyway, me and Jo wish you all at Simply Maya a very Merry Christmas and a Hapy New Year.

Where ever you are.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 105 23-12-2005 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
hey ... i just recognized thet i have seen this ship in real-lifeuser added image