Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-09-2005 , 01:38 AM

Unfinished models: civilian and nazi guys (World War 2)

Hi. I´ll post here the WIP I was going to post in my entry to the June/August Challenge.

I don´t know if anyone will be interested on it, but meredith, a user of this forum, suggested it. There is nothing special with the models, and they are still without the wrinkles I planned to put on their clothes. I think I´ll try it in the next week, just for the sake of curiosity and feel of completion. But I can´t swear I will.

Maybe one feel that an interesting thing here is the approach. The way I did things to get the models "done". Some practical tips that I learned from various tutorials on the web and them twisted and mixed together, picking those which I feel more confortable to use.

The first still is the head of the jew civilian. I´ve taken some photo references of a middle-aged man in google. He had an interesting rounded head with a nose that seems like classical greek sculptures, more or less.

You can see by the low poly head in the right that I used a polygonal approach, with the Connect Poly Shape (CPS) plugin for Maya, by Dirk Bialluch (https://dirk-bialluch.mayaring.com/).

The head on the left is just a smoothed version of the one on the right, generated with the help of the plugin, using the options subdvisions 1, mirror X and stitch.

Attached Images
# 2 02-09-2005 , 01:43 AM

wires

The wires, for anyone that, like me, is always curious about the edge loops and how the surface flows along the mesh.

Attached Images

Last edited by athos; 02-09-2005 at 04:30 AM.
# 3 02-09-2005 , 02:14 AM
I will resume things here to the interesting combinations in the approach (as I am in no way a maya expert to write tutorials).
As a note: I don´t remember to have seen a tutorial using this combination of approachs, but surely they may exist in the web.

1. Began with a good utility for nurbs: a dense base mesh to sculpt with artisan tools and quickly obtain forms of human anatomy (don´t need to be detailed, just suggestions). I used an image plane with a photo ref. to keep control of things.

Attached Images

Last edited by athos; 02-09-2005 at 03:06 PM.
# 4 02-09-2005 , 02:20 AM
2. Make it live (Modify > Make live) and use the maya´s create polygon tool to make the eye and mouth edgeloops, rough nose, chin, back of the head and finish it up. Delete or hide the nurbs head. It´s useless from now on.

Detail the eye, nose and mouth regions adding loops etc.

At this time I´ve gone ahead based upon the Krishnamurti Costa´s tutorial (www.antropus.com) on poly-by-poly head modeling.

Look for his tutorial on modeling an ear.

Attached Images

Last edited by athos; 02-09-2005 at 04:54 AM.
# 5 02-09-2005 , 02:25 AM
This was the nazi guy soldier´s head. To obtain the civilian´s head I used the soft modification tool, looking all the time to the photo and character design references, until I´ve reach the fisionomy I wanted and time was over (or my entry would be).

You can see that the tight time I had made me leave the nazi guy´s fisionomy unfinished, looking a bit generic.

I´ll post more WIP later. Now I´m going sleep.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by athos; 02-09-2005 at 04:32 AM.
# 6 02-09-2005 , 05:01 AM
Not sleeping yet.

Someone may have noticed that almost all my post had been edited recently. It is because I read then often looking for english language mistakes (it´s not my native language) and correcting them.

It´s not always, but it´s often.

# 7 02-09-2005 , 07:44 AM
nice user added image

Its good to know the technique you used to create the head. I've only tried polys so far but might give your method a go.

How long did it take you to create the first head (the one with the image reference in) as you seemed to make it very quickly?

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 8 02-09-2005 , 02:56 PM
Hi, t1ck135,

I´ve taken about 1:30h or 2h (30 min. distracted with experimentation). But the ear I made two days before, and just combined it with the head, making minor adjustements.

If I hadn´t to care about the geometry being all quads, I could have done it a little faster.

Because of the time I had, I was counting the time I had to do each model.

This Luger, for an instance, I modeled in 1h. But it has some unresolved geometry.

I´ll post the maya scene files here later, in the case someone want to see it in 3d and play with it.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by athos; 02-09-2005 at 03:02 PM.