Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 166 12-11-2002 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
Good work mumbojumbo... keep it up user added image

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 167 12-11-2002 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
I like that shell you added to your mech Mumbojumbo_13!

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 168 12-11-2002 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber

Attack

So....added some Details at the head, and included some IK-Handles for the legs as well....not it "can" walk....

Modeling part is finished for me...even if it doesn't really looks like a hardcore-mecha.....let's call it a "Tuned Wasp" for Espionage purposes....

Will start to texture it now.....if that's okey

# 169 12-11-2002 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber

Forgot the image...i'm sorry

# 170 12-11-2002 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber
The design of the eyes are way facinating!!!
Great feature.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 171 12-11-2002 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Detail

enclosed a few Detail-Shots..f.ex. the Turbine....and the exhaust (first is lightened inside, to show what's going on inside)

# 172 12-11-2002 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber

Echaust

And here's the back

# 173 12-11-2002 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
little leg update.

wish i had more time on my hands user added image

# 174 12-11-2002 , 02:30 PM
Subscriber
wow, adl, just seen your insect file. how do you manage to keep it at less than 400 kb? my ant is 1.6 mb big already.

and another problem, i made a major mistake - my ant has no separete legs or head - it is just one subd. i guess i am not knowing how to model right - i think animating will never work (besides time is too short)

# 175 12-11-2002 , 02:40 PM
Babyduck optimized your scene and delet history that should lower your file down, and your using sub-d it will make your files larger. You can separte the part in poly.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 176 12-11-2002 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Kurt
Babyduck optimized your scene and delet history that should lower your file down, and your using sub-d it will make your files larger. You can separte the part in poly.

it has no history and the wire does not look dense either - and yes it is optimized already. and next time i model something i leave the legs seperate. here is a pic of wireframe (adl, please take the last ic to showcase, not the wireframe).

# 177 12-11-2002 , 03:16 PM
Hello, Everybody!

I´m very pleased with everyone´s entries, good work guys!
Did you guys know that the thread itself hasn´t gone down from the Top 5 since the new site opened up? This is been a great team effort, and I really wish best of lucks to everybody since there´s quite a few competitors trying it out. Thanks Guys!

Great, now with the comments user added image

el_newty:Looks like Nurbs right? at least the wings? Increase Render Tesselation in the Attribute Editor. It´ll look better. Excellent entry overall. (and try to keep those images small, 600 pixels wide)

mumbojumbo_13: Excellent Shell! Looks awesome from my POV, all technology style! Same advise as with el_newty.

BulletProof: Excellent entry! Proving very difficult to beat! I agree with Kurt though, it still looks like it could be on the Discovery Channel, however, this is something that can be overcomed in texturing though, so I wish you a happy texturing! (Gotta love those eyes man!)

Babyduck: I´m pleased with the way your entry is coming, since, I´ve been seeing all your updates. The legs themselves look ok to me, and you´ve even tried cutting them apart. You could try Clean Topology on your model, this should lower a bit filesize, although check that you don´t lose anything in the process. Check upon Maya´s docs for Extracting Polygon Faces, this might give you some pointers on how to extract those legs. Hope it helps bud!

-entries updated now-

# 178 12-11-2002 , 03:35 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by adldesigner
Hello, Everybody!
Babyduck: I´m pleased with the way your entry is coming, since, I´ve been seeing all your updates. The legs themselves look ok to me, and you´ve even tried cutting them apart. You could try Clean Topology on your model, this should lower a bit filesize, although check that you don´t lose anything in the process. Check upon Maya´s docs for Extracting Polygon Faces, this might give you some pointers on how to extract those legs. Hope it helps bud!

i tried extracting polys - but i got 2 seperate polygons and the subd with its cache stayed the same. and if i transfer the 2 parts back to subd, i loose all the changes i made on subd level (and these are quite a lot - all the edges for instance). and as i have no clue how to texture yet, i will spend rest of the time for texturing, shading, light setting up, and rendering. animating it would be overkill user added image

but one thing i already learned: trying to model something will give a lot of exerience - and if i would make the ant too good, i had nothing to imrove on later :p - not everybody starts with perfect first model

# 179 12-11-2002 , 03:58 PM
Subscriber

Logo

Created a Logo for my Wasp in Illustrator...I know, it has nothing to do with the competition..but I want you to show...user added image)

b u l l e t

# 180 12-11-2002 , 04:10 PM

Originally posted by babyduck
i tried extracting polys - but i got 2 seperate polygons and the subd with its cache stayed the same. and if i transfer the 2 parts back to subd, i loose all the changes i made on subd level (and these are quite a lot - all the edges for instance). and as i have no clue how to texture yet, i will spend rest of the time for texturing, shading, light setting up, and rendering. animating it would be overkill user added image

but one thing i already learned: trying to model something will give a lot of exerience - and if i would make the ant too good, i had nothing to imrove on later :p - not everybody starts with perfect first model

Hehe Glad to know you´re actually that focused, keep on it, doing a great job!

BulletProof: I like it. user added image