Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 121 27-02-2006 , 01:37 PM
thanks t1ck - yes, I must admit I was kind of getting into the cheesy background sky images - i was kind of going for an end of the day, hippo on the range kind of vibe...:p I will try not to let the sky dominate the final image.

Not sure how much more I will be able to do with this before the deadline, as I am back into work today, but I have my maya books with me and I am reading about shadows and bump mapping...

Thanks for everyone's help. user added image

# 122 01-03-2006 , 08:46 AM
Here is my final entry. I have not done too much more over the last couple of days. I added a bump map and played around with the lighting, as well as some other tweaks here and there.

Thanks to everyone who took a look at my project. This has been a really good thing to take part in and I really feel that over the last couple of months I have been pushing forward.

Good luck to everyone else.

Cheers! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 123 01-03-2006 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
well done on ure final man hope it goes good for u user added image

# 124 01-03-2006 , 09:20 AM
well done and good luck arran user added image
looks like you've learned loads in the challenge and put it to good use!

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 125 01-03-2006 , 10:42 AM
Good work, arran! I still miss the shadows in the interior of mouth, though... But it's great, I know on next challenge you're gonna to do this even better. Good luck and congratulations for your efforts!

# 126 01-03-2006 , 11:44 AM
Awesome effort Arran! I thought you were biting off more than you could chew modeling that open mouth but you pulled it off like a champ!

I think I would lose the sky though. Its a bit distracting.

Rock on!

Dave

# 127 01-03-2006 , 11:11 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for all of your positive comments and constructive criticism. For me, this has been the best part of the competition - hearing what others think and having others view your project with a fresh set of eyes can really help. All of the entries have been of such a high standard - it has really helped push me forward.

user added image

Unfortunately I did not leave enough time at the end of the project to really do the lighting justice. I definitely agree that the mouth needs to be worked on some more. Still, I am glad that I have finally dived into textures and lighting - I had been putting it off for a while.

I know what you mean about the sky, Dave - I must admit that I really got into building the sky dome and looking for cheesy sunsets to match his cheesy smile. Although I am looking forward to taking a break from this model and working on something else for a while, I would definitely like to come back to this at a later date to work on his body and to possibly rig him.

I think next I am going to work on a low poly character... that is unless the next contest drags me in...

Thanks again! user added image

# 128 01-03-2006 , 11:33 PM
19 year Veteran
Awsome job on the modeling! Been following this one for a while. Why just use the maya software renderer for the model?

# 129 01-03-2006 , 11:56 PM
I am so new to rendering and lighting and due to work I only had a few hours right before the deadline to try and sort it out. I was using Mental Ray, but the last couple of renders I did looked really bad. On the next project I will get my act together!

Thanks for the good words THX1138. user added image

# 130 02-03-2006 , 03:14 PM
# 131 07-05-2006 , 10:22 PM
Nice work Arran. I never really liked hippo's, but know I quite like them. excellent skinning and modelling. This really gives me many tips on organic modelling.

# 132 07-05-2006 , 10:27 PM
Thanks bobalie - I definitely recommend entering one of the challenges and sticking through it till the end - everyone was really helpful and it was really good seeing others work on the same project. user added image

# 133 20-05-2006 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
Hey man cool hippo. If you have a camera, you should take the inside of your mouth and use it as a texture. user added image

# 134 20-05-2006 , 12:35 AM
Hey thanks anslaught!

It's funny you should say that - actually I did use photos of my mouth for the textures. :nod: