Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 26-01-2006 , 06:32 PM
About your question, I'm not so sure about the answer, but I made a quick test using a Subd sphere whit a checker pattern and planar mapping, and the texture seems to behave well. But I don't know, uv mapping isn't my favorite part of the movie!

# 62 26-01-2006 , 08:30 PM
Nice work arran, keep it up! user added image

The area in front of the eyes looks a little squashed now.
If you can see in the attached pic the nose area isnt squashed up:

Attached Images

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 63 27-01-2006 , 04:41 PM

Originally posted by jramauri
About your question, I'm not so sure about the answer, but I made a quick test using a Subd sphere whit a checker pattern and planar mapping, and the texture seems to behave well. But I don't know, uv mapping isn't my favorite part of the movie!

Thanks jramauri for taking the time to try a test. I probably didn't explain myself clearly - I guess I am just asking if, once you have made your model and mapped your uvs, if you then add some more detail to your model, are the new vertices represented by new uvs in the correct place in the uv editor? I think I have noticed some people editing their models after they start applying textures. I guess I should just start experimenting!

Thanks for the crit T1ck. I have not gone back over my model after adjusting the mouth so I still have a lot to do. I am planning to post some more reference photos when I next get a chance as there is a lot of variation between hippopotami. :eeek2:

I am a little confused as to what area you are referring to, though. I have attached a picture. Is it A or B or another area? Sorry if the image is the wrong size. I am at work and cannot adjust it.

Thanks a lot for the crits, though. It is a big help having others look at what you are struggling on and having a deadline has really helped me get my finger out.

cheers

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 64 27-01-2006 , 09:33 PM
I've tested this too, and seems to work well. You can subdivide your model too, UV layout won't be affected. But the better way you have to know it's trying! Go ahead dude! user added image

# 65 27-01-2006 , 09:43 PM
Hey jramauri, thanks a lot dude! you're right. It's time for me to get that UV texture editor out and start experimenting...

# 66 27-01-2006 , 09:46 PM
I think its a general rounding off in the area between a and b.
I've knocked up a quick comparison image to show what I mean. Admittedly this is only after looking at a few reference pics so it might not be totally accurate user added image

I am loving your model though, it has some great character!

Attached Thumbnails

www.flash-fx.net
# 67 28-01-2006 , 01:43 AM
Hey T1ck,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my model - it's much appreciated.

I definately need to go back over that area, though I just added that ridge of skin at the corner of the mouth, so I am a bit reluctant to get rid of it completely. I think you are right - when the mouth is open, that muscle is less prominent. I guess I have been looking at too many shots of the mouth closed. the nose definately needs to be sorted out and the area in front of the eyes, as you said, is squashed. cheers for the good crit and positive comments.

user added image

Here are some of more of my reference photos.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 28-01-2006 at 01:54 AM.
# 68 28-01-2006 , 01:46 AM
er.. not sure how to post more than one image at a time....how crap is that?

:shakehead

Attached Images
# 69 28-01-2006 , 01:50 AM
pretty crap...

Attached Images
# 70 02-02-2006 , 08:42 PM
Hello - here is my latest update.

I have spent the last couple of days cleaning up the mesh, especially inside the mouth, getting rid of any lingering 5 sided polys, deleting any unseen faces and attaching the tongue to the lower gums.

I also spent quite a bit of time remodelling the area in front of the eyes that t1ck pointed out. I then started adding a few minor irregularities to the model - the broken tooth and a few nicks to his ears.

I have not had a great deal of time to work on my model this last week due to work and also sharing the computer. I am thinking of looking into getting a laptop so that I can do some maya at work. Any recommendations? I am looking to spend approx $2500... er, when I actually save up some money. user added image

I think that I am going to leave my model for now and start focussing on mapping out the UVs. I have done quite a bit of reading this last week and I can definately recommend 'Texturing: Concepts and Techniques' by Dennis Summers. It has been pretty useful and is fairly clear. I started on the incisors last night and today I am working on the molars.

Plenty fun!

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 03-02-2006 at 02:52 PM.
# 71 02-02-2006 , 09:05 PM
good going arran, that area is definately looking less squashed than before user added image

3D world magazine has a laptop lineup if you can get it (is it available easily in the US?) which range from $2600 up to over $4000!
When I got my laptop I basically bought 'what laptop' magazine for a few months and hit as many sites as possible to do with laptops and hardware. Tomshardware.com is great for lots of things but I can't remember if they do laptop roundups or not. Either way they compare the gfx cards so its handy for that element.

Good luck with the uv's. Initially its frustrating but you'll get the hang real soon user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 72 02-02-2006 , 11:25 PM
thanks T1ck.user added image

I'll keep an eye out for that magazine and check out those sites.

Uvs seem to be going well. Very slow but kind of relaxing...:p I am sure as soon as I start applying textures I'll start pulling out my hair.

# 73 03-02-2006 , 06:31 PM
nah, as soon as you start texturing it'll start adding the realism layers and looking even better - and that'll encourage you to do more and more texturing user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 74 03-02-2006 , 07:29 PM
cheers t1ck. stuck at work for the next few days :angery:, so UVs will have to wait. I am glad to have finally started textures though.

I have been checking out What Laptop and 3d Worlds' websites. Thanks for the good info. At the moment I am drooling over the Asus V6V and also the Rockdirect Pegasus, though I know nothing about computers user added image, so I may need to get my girlfriend to do some research... user added image I noticed in some of the threads that people were advising against laptops, but it would be great to take Maya to work as I do nightshifts. :zzz:

# 75 03-02-2006 , 09:34 PM
Depends on how much use it'll get. I bought a laptop just over a year ago and have used it almost every day and that is mainly for 3D (ocasional gaming etc user added image ) so I think it's done the job. It probably wont handle huge complex scenes and animations but if I ever get that good then a normal computer in the corner of a room networked up would be just fine.
If you did decide on a laptop then the only thing I'd say is do lots of research on them and dont make a snap decision. Look for as many reviews as possible on as many models in the price range you're looking for. I went for a 7 out of ten model because it was very fast (graphically - which was my main reason) was lightish and had a good battery length. According to the reviews it's downfall was the screen and the build quality which was fairly right but if you treat it well then it (hopefully) wont break user added image

www.flash-fx.net