Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 20-04-2006 , 11:33 PM
Hey arran, looking good, i don't know how low you wanted the poly count to be on this but i noticed a few examples you could do away with. Hope you're not offended (i don't usually do this) but i've circled them on your image, reducing the amount of tris and converting them to quads...

"user added image

# 17 21-04-2006 , 05:04 PM
Hey Rostoons - Not offended at all - thanks for taking the time to look at my model! user added image

Yeah, those areas definitely need cleaning up, though I was actually planning to triangulate my guy once I had finished modelling, as if he was a game character, as in mtmckinley's book, though I guess if he is for an animation that isn't really necessary.

By the way, I have been keeping an eye on your short film - it's looking excellent so far - I really like the bit when he is trying to drop down to the ground - very funny. Well done!

# 18 21-04-2006 , 05:18 PM
Actually making quads of those tris doesn't reduce the poly count at all since it will all be tris when the GPU renders them anyways. It's actually better to split some quads in some areas where there is lot of deformation otherwise if you let maya/game engine/etc split it for you it could split it the "wrong" way.

# 19 21-04-2006 , 05:19 PM
what a cool model, i wish i could model in low poly, when i try in low poly i mess up.

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 20 21-04-2006 , 05:32 PM
Thanks DJbLAZER - funny you should mention that - I triangulated him, forgot to undo and saved, so when I next opened I realised what I had done and quadrangulated and found it interesting to see how it resolved / ****ed up certain areas.

Cheers Masteryoda - you're kidding right? - I just saw your final entry for this months challenge - Very cool! After doing my hippo head, I am really enjoying low poly modelling. Just dive into it with basic shapes and then start chopping them up.

Think I am going to put this on hold for a day or so, while I finally start something non-organic.

# 21 21-04-2006 , 10:07 PM
not kidding heh, that mech you saw is a high poly model, i dont know how to model in low poly. I always mess up in low poly.

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 22 21-04-2006 , 10:37 PM
Oh, I know your mech is high poly - I just meant that with that level of skill, low poly shouldn't be a problem! Just give yourself a poly count and then try to stay under it.

# 23 22-04-2006 , 12:24 AM
thanks to your tips, I started a new model, this time a low poly to see what i can get, I'll post it for you when i'm finished.

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 24 22-04-2006 , 12:27 AM
Hey masteryoda - why not post it as a WIP and then others can give you help if you need it? Looking forward to see what you make.user added image

# 25 24-04-2006 , 12:05 PM
Hello - spent most of the weekend working on my inorganic model, but I managed to do a bit of work on this yesterday.

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 24-04-2006 , 12:12 PM
I attached the ear and head to the rest of the body and I also started blocking out the vacuum - which has blown my poly count a bit out of the water, but I am not too worried. That big yellow thing will sit behind his shoulders in the finished model.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 24-04-2006 , 01:20 PM
Pardon the pun, but when you get done with this "Vacuum Guy", he might really suck! user added image

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 28 24-04-2006 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
Those are some massive shoes!
I really like the design of him. Are you gonna use him for an animation or something?

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 29 24-04-2006 , 01:28 PM
ha ha! Thanks skywola, I think!user added image

# 30 24-04-2006 , 01:30 PM
Your welcome, all in good humor . . user added image

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche