Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-04-2006 , 09:56 PM

Working with Maya learning edition

I have been working on a model on my Maya learning edition. But I can’t open the file if I take it to a commercial version. Is this due to licensing requirements? Or is there a way to go around this problem?
Thanks
BJ

# 2 24-04-2006 , 11:26 PM
its not a problem: its the law! you can't do it.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 25-04-2006 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
I know what you mean. It was the second most anoying thing about the ple. Right after the watermarks being all over the work area all the time.
Being unable to transfer files to a licensed version I can somehow understand. Even though it is slightly annoying if you are student and your tutors expect you to do work at home.
But what I really cannot understand is why does alias make it impossible to transfer files from a licensed version to a ple. That means as a student you can't even make tryouts at home and play with your collegework. Do they really think every student has 300 bucks to by a student license???

# 4 26-04-2006 , 10:57 AM
Senior Software Developer
Maya PLE and Maya commecial are not compatable. This is to stop you using the Free version to produce commercial products, and make money from them.

There is no conversion tool available, and if there were Autodesk/Alias would probably take action againt the creator anyway. To use it in a commercial version of Maya you will need to recreate it user added image.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 26-04-2006 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
from what i can remem u could with version 5 ple an this other software and it was some complicted process of doin things but still illeagal

but it sure is annoying havin loads of model of ple which become useless if/wen upgrade

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973