Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 14-01-2007 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber
you done a great job with the jacket i reckon, looks superb now user added image also with the bike, i like it soo far but only crit i have is that the front wheel hood cap just dosnt go with my tasting when it comes to bike's and that, though you are copying his bike and looks the same user added image

marlon

# 32 15-01-2007 , 11:40 AM
small update

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 16-01-2007 , 02:22 PM
another update. Have begun working on the mechanics

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 16-01-2007 , 04:07 PM
looking very cool leonlabyk - the bike looks great.

I am just wondering though, does the jacket have to have such a high poly count? I haven't modelled any clothes, so I don't know... just wondering.

# 35 17-01-2007 , 02:34 PM
some more updates

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 17-01-2007 , 02:36 PM
and 1 more

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 19-01-2007 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
bike updates look sweet...i really like the wheel part area now, gives it abit of that chopper bike feel lol. also just a question about the model, is it ment to be that low off the ground? id hate to go over a speedhump in one of them :p

marlon

# 38 19-01-2007 , 05:39 PM
Cheers Marlon, the idea is to hit a switch and the front and back end will move allowing the bike to raise. It would still be real low though so country lanes and speed humps would probably be a bad idea.

# 39 22-01-2007 , 07:36 PM
update1

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 22-01-2007 , 07:38 PM
update2

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 22-01-2007 , 07:42 PM
update 3

I remember when I applied the stickers and stuff to the bike before I used a technique involving a tool that I lined up and then projected the sticker straight onto the surface. I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it though and was wondering if anyone has any idea what I am on about.

Cheers, Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 23-01-2007 , 04:02 AM
Subscriber
Leon,

I'm loving the bike, it's good to see you back on the project. You need to project the image files onto the bike geometry in order to place them like stickers.

Open Hypershade and select a new material, choose 'As projection' rather than 'Normal' for the means to attach a file to the colour channel. When you attach the shader to the geometry the shader placement tool will appear in the work view, it's a good idea to hit the'Fit To BBox' button, under the projection tab , in the shader attributes so that it squares itself up to the geometry it'll make it easier to manipulate into place.

Once you have the sticker in place you can shift select the geometry and the projection shader, then under the 'Edit' menu in Hypershade select the 'Convert File To Texture (Maya Software)' attribute box. Choose the image size and file type that you want for the shader, make sure that the anti alias button is selected and hit Convert And Close'.

Hope that helps,

Mat.

# 43 23-01-2007 , 07:33 AM
For some reason it is projecting over the entire geometry and not in the area I wan't. Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheer, leon

# 44 23-01-2007 , 07:58 AM
Subscriber
Are you selecting the specific piece of geometry which you want to project to or are you selecting the whole cycle?

Cheers,

Mat.

# 45 23-01-2007 , 11:50 AM
Subscriber
No worries Leon,

There may be a more efficient way of doing multipe projections but I use this way.

First of all you have to have your object UV mapped then..

1: Make a seperate shader for each sticker that you want to project to the bike.

2: Get each sticker into place and convert the projection into a texture (make sure that you make the resolution the same on each oone). Once you've done all the shaders, you can get rid of the original projection and 3D placement tools.

3: Open up each of the textures in your Image editing software (Photoshop or whatever you use). and place them on seperate layers on top of one another, ensure that snap to document bounds is on so that you get them all lined up perfectly.

4: delete the unnecesarry background colour on each layer and any reversed stickers if there are any.

5: create a new layer and put it behind all of the stickers then fill it with whatever colour you want the background to be.

6: Bear in mind that if you want the background to be shiny but the stickers to be matt then you will need to make reflection maps etc.

I hope that makes sense!!

Good luck,

Mat.