Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-05-2006 , 06:22 AM

is there a work arround for the Maya 6.0 bevel tool?

Hi,
I got this new problem. I am trying to create a nice smooth car door edge without using sub-d's or the smooth proxy tool, because as it is, the door itself has a good amount of polys to start with. Now from experience of using Maya 7 at school, another good tool I could use is the bevel tool. However, because I own Maya 6.0 at home, and knowing from experience, the bevel tool has that stupid bug that does not keep your poly's as quads.

Now trying to understand how the smooth proxy works, I see that the continuity attribute is what gives the edges a smoother look. Meaning, even if you set the subdivision attribute to 10, but if the continuity attribute is set to 0, you are still going to have a hard edge. So my question is this...
considering that I don't want to use the smooth proxy tool because it increases the poly count to the entire object, is there anything that allows me to have control over just the continuity attribute? I tried setting the subdivide attribute to 0 in the attribute editor, but then the continuity attribute does not work.