Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 22-06-2006 , 02:15 AM

weird display issue - can't figure out this simple display thing! Help!

Hi guys,

I'm posting in here coz i'm sure it is an easy noob question!

I can't for the life of me work out what i did to cause some of my geometry to retain it's sub-object cage after i deselect editing the object!!

https://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=subdcage2ef.jpg

The above link is a quick screen capture!

there is nothing selected yet their is a cage around one peace of my geometry! I can't find how to turn it off in any of the display options! When no objects are selected I only want to see my geometry and when I select the object I want to edit then select one of its Sub-object modes (verts, face, edge) then get the cage! When i click off then the cage should it not disappear? How can i get this back?

Any help would be great! Much appreciated.

Regards,
Nick.

# 2 23-06-2006 , 09:46 PM
right click on your subD geometry. here you got to options - one at a time - either standard or polygon. right now you are in polygon mode.

I guess.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 24-06-2006 , 07:59 AM
Yeah that’s right I am in Poly mode!

Why doesn't the mesh disappear when the object is not selected though?

# 4 24-06-2006 , 07:21 PM
because subD is not polygon like it is not a nurb. maya offers the possibility when modeling in subD mode to show a polygonal cage. it is a reference only. it is visible until you go back to standard mode. you might write a view lines of mel code and put it onto a hotkey to toggle visibility. or put the cage node onto a layer where you can also toggle visibility on and of.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 5 24-06-2006 , 10:43 PM
Ahh i see - i thought there may have been a pref option you could toggle on/off for it's display when not selected!

Mate, cheers for that - it was bugging me for sometime! I'll take the Mel option and hotkey it.

Thanks,
Nick.