Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-08-2006 , 06:19 PM

Assign material only in one side of a plane

I have a plane and a material assigned to it. How do I make one of the sides with no material? Thanks for support!

user added image

# 2 27-08-2006 , 09:27 PM
well i've got two thoughts, the first being under the 'render stats' portion of your object (not your material) in the attribute editor there's a checkbox called 'double sided' that is checked. not sure what it does, but give that a try.

not being a pro with UV sets yet, (oh hell i'm barely experienced with them hehe) instead of giving you a UV workaround i'd say why not just take a box and scale it really small in only one axis so it looks like a plane? that way you can texture one side of the box, and the other side, it'll look close to a plane, and you'll be able to have a texture only on one side.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 29-08-2006 , 12:07 PM
When I render with double sided off, one of the sides simply don´t appear...

About the box, when I scale it like a plain, the face seems very strange because it´s mixed with others and I get a confuse composition that do not show the image clearly...

# 4 29-08-2006 , 02:15 PM
Subscriber
How about using 2 planes then really close together?

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 5 29-08-2006 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber
have a look on the digital tutors web site
in the free section it does double sided shaders like what u want but it does the exmaple on a lamp shade

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 6 29-08-2006 , 09:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for support, and pbman, that tutorial really helped me!