Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-08-2006 , 02:31 PM

Other rendering programs

I've been using mental ray for a while now, and it works nicely. I have noticed though, that some people use maya to build their artwork, and use another program like "flamingo" to render it. Does anyone why people do this?
I might want to try it out for myself.:bandit:

# 2 03-09-2006 , 08:44 AM
different renderers have different strengths and weaknesses. mental ray is very powerful but also complicated in some manner. you can have full control but need to know very well what you are doing here. VRay for 3ds max has the magic render button for interiors - set up some lights, use default settings, boom - photorealism kind of. maxwell renderer is cool for physical correct caustics and dispersion effects ´n stuff like that. where I work most renderings are done with final render. don´t ask me why. play around and find out what works best for different situations.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 04-09-2006 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
is there a plugin vray for maya?

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 4 04-09-2006 , 01:31 AM
Senior Software Developer
vray is a max only renderer.

For the moment. Chaos Group have a Beta program for VRay for Maya. Check out VRay for Maya

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 04-09-2006 at 01:41 AM.
# 5 04-09-2006 , 01:47 AM
Do you download new rendering programs like you would HDRI, or do you have to buy them seperately?

I would like to try some and see how they affect my artwork.
But... I haven't tried taking full control of mental ray and I will try when I get a chance. Maybe Ill post some artwork when I try out stuff with mental ray.

...Can I even change the settings with the PLE version???? user added image

# 6 04-09-2006 , 02:05 AM
most companies have evaluation software. have a look at their sites and search for demos.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 7 04-09-2006 , 07:57 AM
O.k. I'll try it. Thanks for the advice.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman