Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-10-2006 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber

Cartoon - Female Monkey and Jungle

Hi, tried a cartoon monkey with a jungle scene.
c&c welcome...as usual... ;D

Attached Thumbnails

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 2 23-10-2006 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber

Small Jungle Scene

Attached Thumbnails

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 3 23-10-2006 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber

Both Character and Scene

Attached Thumbnails

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 4 23-10-2006 , 06:47 PM
love the monkey chap!

i'll be doing something similar later at some point so i'd really appreciate a wire if at all possible and if and where you got your references from...

the uni project i'm on at the moment will be in a cartoony style similar to your own here so a little background on those would also go down well, like the tex maps etc.

lovely post though, i like it very much indeed and i apologise for the lack of criticism but it looks like you got exactlywhat you were going for!

# 5 23-10-2006 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
hey Bro,

looking really good ...love the theme ... monkeys cute idea

# 6 23-10-2006 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
looks sweet

but i think she looks out of place in the jungle

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 7 24-10-2006 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
vin209
Thanks, I did not have any references to go by, nor did I do a sketch... it was practice on my visualisation skills. The trextures were very simple, as you can see but effective...
layed out UV's and Photoshoped plain colours (S.A. spelling)
The shades are all the lighting... Used a Blinn with ramp on eyes,
and ramp shaded the trees to give a little illusion to the trunk and leaves... That is it user added image I am still learning the biggest thing I battle with is weighting points... I cannot seem to get it right yet...
I am self taught so I don't have the same knowledge as some but I will get there!! user added image Good luck with your project

mmoore5553
Hey buddy, Wassabi!? Thanks, it is actually 1 character of 7... (Giraffe, Elephant, Tucan, Hedgehog, Male Monkey, Female Monkey, Squirrel) Been putting quite a few hours into these characters... the male is also finished but not near as cute as the female...

pbman
Thanks dude, I also realised that she seems out of place...
I might need to mix a little stone road with a treehouse or something... will have to see.?!?... not sure yet.

"Anyone have any ideas?"
I am going to do the hedgehog soon but I'm not sure how to do the spikes... anyone with an idea?
Thanks again, user added image

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 8 24-10-2006 , 11:11 AM
hey toxic bunny!

thanks for the info. ramp shaded the trees, of course it's all so obvious now!

you know now that i've started using maya heavily i tend to overcomplicate stuff but what you said has made me rethink my approach to this new project.

in the next couple of weeks we'll be making a start so i'll post my progress so you can keep me in check!

i think the stuff i've posted recently was a bit too far down the line for peeps to give me any crit (that or you all hate me!) so i'll do this one from the beginning.

thanks again toxic, i appreciate it.

# 9 24-10-2006 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber
Anytime vin209, I am no expert (Yet) but I will always try assist where I can. I must warn you though, Ramp uses alot of processing power so be careful where you use it and what for...
because it will slow down your scene so much it could cause your
app to crash, make sure you have plenty Ram too.

And don't worry I'm sure nobody hates you user added image
People are either very busy or too lazy to comment at times...
I know i can be :bandit:

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 10 08-01-2007 , 06:26 AM
Subscriber

Elle

Been a while since I posted something... here is another pic with the same theme... an Elle... Still 5 more characters to come.
C&C as usual! user added image

Attached Images

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 11 12-01-2007 , 05:22 AM
Well, I think both works are great. But, I do have some minor crits.

The Monkey's eyes look a bit strange. They look like glass or plastic or something, IMHO.

The Elephant's trunk could use a bit more detail, like some wrinkles here and there.

Other than that, they're great models!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 12 14-01-2007 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber

giraffe

Hey erictacti! Thanks for the Comment, I agree with you about the eyes and I will sort it out! user added image with regard to the trunk, I could add some wrinkles but I do not want to add too much detail to these cartoon characters... I'll put some wrinkles in and you can tell me if you still think it was a good idea?..

Here is my WIP on a Giraffe, it is really in the beginning stages and I am pretty slow at modeling so bare with me user added image (+-6h)
I used to be much slower!!!! user added image Needs alot of work and bare in mind that the textures are not near complete!!

Attached Thumbnails

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 13 14-01-2007 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber

side profile

Wip

Attached Thumbnails

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 14 16-01-2007 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber

Still need to add spots etc... and shoe laces...

Attached Thumbnails

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 15 16-01-2007 , 12:47 PM
Maybe instead of modeling them, you could just texture in the wrinkles. Just a couple small highlights with shadows could work. But the Giraffe is looking really good so far. I think when all is said and done, you're going to have a really nice group of characters to work with.

Eric Tacti
3D Artist