Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-10-2006 , 02:24 PM

Boolean woes !??!!

Can anyone tell me why when I perform a boolean/union operation on my two polygon objects they both vanish ???

Confused ???

# 2 31-10-2006 , 12:36 PM
Sometimes it's a software glitch.

Try displaying the normals for your objects and make sure they are facing the same direction.

I always have disappearing objects when the objects are too complicated to be booleaned.

Do let us know the solution if you solve it.

# 3 31-10-2006 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
On top of checking your normals, you can run a poly cleanup and select to fix all (non-manifold geom, faces with 0 surface area, and, non plannar faces, and lamina faces) also turn your border edges on in either CPD or the attribute editor turn it to like 5 so you can see the borders easily and make sure you dont have any unmerged verts floating around.

# 4 31-10-2006 , 08:31 PM
Thanks for the response guys but I was reading the forums the day I posted my question and found the answer. My object ( a tube) was open ended, once I closed off that end it worked perfectly.

Thanks again