Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 10-02-2007 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
well been tweeking the dinohead for afew hours fixing afew problems and re did the teeth

user added image

also found this image of grimlock fighting sluged from my child hood. Going to recreate this image I think as it brings back great memorys.

user added image

just got too get him finnished first

# 32 10-02-2007 , 11:58 AM
19 year Veteran
I still see problems with the jaw. It's still off in reguards to the real toy. Head topology is off a little bit aswell. Grimlocks dino head doesn't have as much pronounced detail as the body has. The head should be smoother.

I made this concept pic to show the difference between your topology and the toys topology.

Anyway, it's your model and you do what you want. I'm Just showing you some areas to change to bring it closer to the actual toy design if your willing to make the effort to do so.

Attached Images
# 33 10-02-2007 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
frist thx for taking the time to make the pic user added image

your completely right about the eye and therefore some of the head shape, but wrong about the the lower jaw bottom, it is completely flat on the toy.

Are you baseing this on the toy (meanng you have it in your hand) or the photo that I posted (as its very bad angle)

the head was bugging me and thats why i been asking if there is something wrong.

I`m hoping that it was just the eye. By moving that going to have to change quite abit of the face but i think that is whats wrong.

so many thx,
back 2 work

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-02-2007 at 07:43 PM.
# 34 10-02-2007 , 02:00 PM
Subscriber
user added image

update: 60% new head (only the lower jaw and joints remained).

will rerender once sorted the neck out, beveled and got the eyes in

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-02-2007 at 02:03 PM.
# 35 10-02-2007 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
another update:

reworked head

user added image

robo hands

user added image

side veiw

user added image

u may notice the hands are out side of the feet. While the toy moves the dino foot back to revel the hands I`m having the hands come out so he can bend his arm at the elbows. Something the toy cant do.

i feel much better with this head, again thx 2 THX1138 for that image it helped alot :attn:

only have the robo upper legs and robo head to do now. may also add the flame thrower into the back of the dino heads throat (as it was in the comics and cartoon but not in the toy) just like the image of that model i posted earlyer on in this thread.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-02-2007 at 07:51 PM.
# 36 11-02-2007 , 12:43 AM
19 year Veteran
Your most welcome for the C&C. user added image

But anyway, the toy I'm looking at is not entirely flat in the jaw area. True, that first comparison pic is at a bad angle, and while I don't have a physical toy of him to actually compare to. The toy pics I have found do show a difference in shape. You have to look closely to see it. I wont say I'm right, and I wont say I'm wrong. It could be that I'm just seeing things.

Here is a pic showing a few shots of the head in comparison to your WIP. I have circled in red the areas that I see a difference in. But like I said in that last post. It's your model, and you make it the way you want, and thats what really counts. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 11-02-2007 , 12:46 AM
19 year Veteran
Oh, forgot to mention that the detail on the head is looking alot better! user added image

I also made this animated gif to better illustrate what I am talking about.

Attached Images
# 38 11-02-2007 , 04:43 AM
Subscriber
dude again thx for the help

user added image

i also have got the robot legs done but will put off rendering them until I get the final peice done - grimlocks robo head which I`m starting now.:p

# 39 11-02-2007 , 08:36 AM
19 year Veteran
Your most welcome.user added image

# 40 12-02-2007 , 03:45 PM
Subscriber

man i`m so bloody silly

right all modelering is done.
(apart from some joints to fix the robot head on - but we`ll get to that)

I made the made more like the cartoon verson than the toy as its so small u cant see a thing.

used this photo

user added image

and got this

user added image

so of i went and parented all the parts togeather so I could ruffly see what the robot verson would look like.

I was in for a shock ......

Plz dont dont take the piss

user added image

i know i know.

somehow the legs have gone so wrong, but it means reshaping the whole thing. how did i miss this

is it me or did the dino mode look fine??
everything seemed to be to scale.
I have been looking through this wip and cant see where it happened.

and i cant just scale the parts ,as there are alot of cylinders use for joints which have to stay round.

oh and just in case you think "narr its not that bad"

user added image

but aleast i got alot of the detail on the innerside of the legs (that was hard work)

things 2 do:

1) cry
2) cry some more
3) fix problems, add final bits/modeled joints
4) Take a break and finnish challenage entry
5) come back uv map

lets start with number one shall we :shakehead user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 12-02-2007 at 03:55 PM.
# 41 12-02-2007 , 04:42 PM
19 year Veteran
You didn't happen to combine anything on the legs by any chance and then try to scale after that by any chance? Also have you deleted all of your work history? If you haven't deleted your history, simply undo all the changes and trace your steps.

# 42 12-02-2007 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
no its not a maya thing it was me.

I built the whole thing too thin. It start of ok but somwhere along the line i lost the shape.

also I delete the history alot, but do have intermated saves on

:p

# 43 12-02-2007 , 09:37 PM
i must respect the work done on the head to try and get an accurate model, but i still can't help but think that some things in thx's animated gif were ignored (along the jawline by the neck area), and also i can't help but look at your new avatar and feel that it looks a little off.

the body looks absolutely great though. can't wait to see an animation for the transform! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 44 13-02-2007 , 01:49 AM
19 year Veteran

Orginally posted by tweetytunes:
I built the whole thing too thin. It start of ok but somwhere along the line i lost the shape.

Ah, I see. The best thing to do IMO is go back in widen the body out a bit, then go back and scale the legs ( upper and lower ) to match.

Originally posted by NeoStrider:
i must respect the work done on the head to try and get an accurate model, but i still can't help but think that some things in thx's animated gif were ignored (along the jawline by the neck area), and also i can't help but look at your new avatar and feel that it looks a little off.

Oh, I could have really grilled tweety on his head topology. For example the head is infact too long. His eyes are not inset, and the neck topology is still innaccurate with the toy pics I found. The best thing tweety could have done is to post pictures of the toy he has. But anyway, it's tweets model and I can only give him suggestions. He has every right to design it to his liking, and thats the most important thing.

Last edited by THX1138; 13-02-2007 at 01:52 AM.
# 45 13-02-2007 , 08:32 AM
Subscriber
my big problem is the fact I do not have a camera here in dartford. Got one back home. so cant really take any pics.
.user added image

Originally posted by NeoStrider
i still can't help but think that some things in thx's animated gif were ignored (along the jawline by the neck area)

His gif had 3 areas changed.

1) the shape of the lower jaw - changed to match
2) the noise area - changed to match
3) the back area of the jaw - again changed to match the toy more than the gif, but changed non the less.

thx`s gif is wrong in the area in question (sorry mate it is - but thx anyway). The upper part of the jaw stops on the side of the octagon (like my head shot before the animated gif and also in the photo THX posted) with a small triangle between that and the upper jaw line.

After looking at the animated gif I moved the side bit out slightly so the angle matched the angle of the tooth. (sort of a mix of the real toy and THX`s gif)
I also cut out a triangle from the jawline right at the back, just like the toy.

After spending afew hours on the model u can lose the focus of the shape of something like the head. Thx seems to have the eye (and is kind enough to share) for what is wrong with the shape so I have paid real good attention to what he has to say (although a heads up on the head being too long would have been nice). So saying I ignored his advice (I feel) is completely wrong.

Originally posted by NeoStrider
also i can't help but look at your new avatar and feel that it looks a little off. the body looks absolutely great though. can't wait to see an animation for the transform!

Don`t go by my avatar the head on that is way too square for my liking and thx for the kind words about the body

@ thx what do you mean "His eyes are not inset" ?
do you mean on the toy they stick out while I modeled them inside the head?
if so thats because the cartoon, the comics and the 4 other versions of the toy all had his eyes cut into his head a little, instead of just blobs of paint on top of the head. I think the eyes were a after thought as all the other dinobots don`t have any eyes in toy form, but yet they all have eyes in the cartoon.
Also I said earlier on I was going to reshape the neck area after I made the robo head.