This is my first attempt at modeling a car I've wanted to do one for a while but couldn't think of a car I'd like to do. I found a bluprint of a Viper RT-10 on the-blueprints.com and decided this would be a fun car. I couldn't figure out how to model it or how to get it started so I jumped on the trusty internet and downloaded the car tutorial from simplymaya and have been using that as a guide. This is, I hate say, my progress today, about 3-4 good hours of going back and forth between the tutorial and the modeling.
after doing a little picture hunting on the car, i think I might change up my hood and body style a little bit, I don't like the backwards opening hood. The only problem I have with the blueprints I just got is that there is just side, front, and back, no top view.
its looking good , are you working on both sides of the car ? or did u mirror it b4 u took a picture?. im not sure what model of the viper your modeling so i cant realy comment on its curves, the gaps between bodyparts look alittle big to me,
then again i think mine are the same lol, keep it up tho man its looking good
ok you did say the model of the car my bad lol
the arches at the front look as they go outa little then curve right in , the hood looks like its the front fender aswell but you said you changed it so it was like a normal hood so i cant comment on that lol.
anychance of a smoothed shot without wireframe on ?
thanks to those of you who have left comments so far
and to answer the question about the hood on the previous model, the fender and hood were all one piece because it was one of the hoods that lifted from the windshield not the front bumper. I started looking at it and decided not to try with that.
here is the new model, unfortunately the image sizes in the planes were the wrong size so a lot of it is more just looking at pictures and guessing. I'm going to stick with this one though as the hood is not as big and complicated on this model as the previous one.
I'm trying to make it look like this car:
Any ideas of what I should do before getting too much further or any comments please post them. Appreciate it
its coming on , but to me it looks like u have 2 diffrent faces at the front where the grill is , looks as if theres one behind it thats curved more than the front one , i still think theres way to many edges its gonna be realy hard for you to follow the curves with all them, lots have people have told me never to add edges i dont need check this tutorial out it will realy help you out i promise , its a diffrent car but it will give u a idea on how to many things a bit more simple for ya to get the curves that you need
yeah that extra piece was supposed to be the bumper but I don't really need that piece there anymore, I did delete that out of there after I posted these pictures.
The geometry I have in I'm still tweeking quite a bit to get everything in place on the hood, and to get the curves on the hood and the headlight area just right (which I'm still having trouble with). I will give a look at the link you gave me. Thank you for your comments
thanks again. And one more thing about my mesh, this is still pretty low polly in my mind and I want to get this as high poly as I want. Everything I've done has been a jagged low poly model, this, if it doesn't kill me, will be my first high poly count model.
Making something high poly is simple really but theres no way you'll get anywhere with the polycount you're working with. If you have a really decent meshflow on a low poly object, smooth proxy can increase the mesh density in seconds and it should look really curvy. Listen to the advice here, hes just been-here-done-that... you need to scrap this for the moment (you'll thank me later), check the tuts and start over later once you understand the principles of doing such a task.
Good luck though man, you'll feel great once you've done it.
Today I spent a lot of time tweeking the mesh around making it flow better than it was. Cut the holes out for the lights, bumber, and part of the hood. Fixed the fender bumps around the tire a little bit better (still can't get the right look). I also figured out how to do an occlusion render the right way.
Heres the occlusion render (I think thats what it's called)
Starting to take shape a little bit better after hours and hours of messing with the mesh and adjusting vertices one at a time
I haven't had time to work on it monday because I had to work, yesterday I had off but couldn't get myself to sit at the computer to work on maya all day. And today I got to it around 5 and worked until 8 to get the back and trunk done.
Worked on the back and a lot of other random mesh tweeking to make it look as clean as I could (which isn't too clean looking but as good as I can get it right now)
The back looks kind of messy but it's the only way I could get everything placed where I needed them without adding more unnecessary lines
Please leave feedback, opinions, ideas, thoughts... I think i've got 'em all covered
heres front and back wireframe
Front and back poly smooth. I know a few edges on the back are still kinda bumpy, I'll work more on that either later tonight or tomorrow after work.