Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-05-2007 , 08:59 PM

Suicide

My real interest lies in animation, and i know im not nearly ready to be creating animations since im only about 2 months into maya, but i thought id try as a small project I can do during the week after school! Heres a screenshot from my animation so far. It is of a guy slitting his wrist. Im just trying to figuire out how to creat blood effects without having fluid effects in my version of Maya. user added image

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 2 12-05-2007 , 09:04 PM
Banned
Made me cringe
But i think it would look beter if you could add more detail to the palm and wrist of the hand since its looking pritty square at the moment - maybe some work on the fingers, if your not doing it for the modeling.
Nice lighting, keep going.

# 3 13-05-2007 , 02:32 AM
er....that's very frightening. not sure exactly what you're trying to say - i mean, he's cutting his wrist and there's a baby photo in the background?!

# 4 13-05-2007 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
Try using the paint effects. There is a brush for a blood effect that will work great. You can set the limits of the stroke so that it grows as the knife crosses the wrist.

# 5 13-05-2007 , 08:40 AM
Subscriber
I have to agree with arran on this one, not sure about the setting of your scene.
However if you like gory stuff, check out this one and click on view on beam.tv on the right side.
https://www.the-mill.com/index.php

# 6 13-05-2007 , 05:52 PM
I will add more detail to the arm and hand later because this is just an animation to help me practice rigging and camera effects pretty much. Everything is pretty block like but hopefully the camera position distracts you from that! I have about 1/3 of the animation done and rendered. Thanks shwenkerbean, ill definitely be using that, since right now all i have is an expanding flattend sphere colored red with anisotropic. The picture in the backround is just a family photo, wife, husband, and child. Just thought Id add that in for fun :/ The beam tv commercial thing was neat! I just watched it, and thats created with maya?

# 7 13-05-2007 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
I'm not sure if you saw the right one actually because when I click on my link it doesn't show what I wanted you to see. If you have seen the film called "weekend en foret" then that's the right one.
If it was anything else do this (sorry I cannot put the proper link, cause I think they have a flash site or something and it doesn't work)
go on the above link anyway, now on the left hand side click on search archive. enter "new 3d talent"
It should be the 4th clip a picture of cg people sitting on a table. That's it it's worth it!
And no they used max, and realflow, it says it at the bottom of the article.

# 8 13-05-2007 , 06:12 PM
Oh ok, yeah, i was wondering why there was no violence when you said if i liked gore. Ill check it out now! Oh and heres it so far about 1/4 or 1/3 done. Ill add some depressing music as to add to the suicide but for now here it is.
https://motiono.com/watch/mmuNiTet

# 9 13-05-2007 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
I've had a look at your animation. I think the movement of the hand looks a bit robotic. There is a technique called "overlapping action"What that means is that if you have two movements, say hand close and arm move, like in your case. You don't have the character finish one and then do the other but merge them a bit to get fluidity going.
Same for camera movements. If you have keys on position and rotation to make your camera glide along a curve, I would not have them on the same frame but slightly off. Say pos. at frame 50 and rot. at frame 47. But you will have to experiment with that, depending on situation.
-I hope you liked the gore user added image

# 10 13-05-2007 , 06:33 PM
yeah - i definitely agree with fartopf's comments - at the moment it just looks too smooth - the camera doesn't really add anything to the drama in the scene.

Again, sorry to be picky, but I really I have to ask what are you trying to say with the scene? I'm not necessarilly opposed to what you are trying to do, but at the moment it just comes off as something that is trying to shock - rather than actually being shocking. Like the photo - is the person someone who is jealous of the family, is it the mum, is it the dad? And the disconnect between the realistic photo and (i'm sorry) your non realistic modeling just adds an element of humour that I don't think you intend... or maybe you do?

# 11 13-05-2007 , 07:21 PM
Thanks for the crits, ill get right on them. The robotic motion will be hard to fix, i may have to re rig the hand to have multiple joints in the palm. I may make it a divorce or death of a loved one suicide. Im not really trying to get across anything, if it was going to be something, it would be for shock value (mainly because ill post it on my myspace) but thats just an afterthought. Ill probably end up re render this whole thing with the suggestions everyones given me, but ill get a rouph draft up here first so i can figure out exactly what I have to do!

# 12 14-05-2007 , 05:49 AM
Subscriber
I honestly don't see the point in this.
If you are going to make a video of suicide you should at least have some sort of point to it. It's not really the thing you just make for shock value. Just today i was told someone i knew hung themselves. Maybe change it so it has some sort of meaning or make it show how horrible suicide really is.

From a technical view the animation seems a little rigid. Also the photo is too realistic compared to the rest of the scene.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 13 14-05-2007 , 03:01 PM
Well right now I doubt this is going to shock to much as it looks pretty cartoony as said before. And if i make it how horrible suicide is, i should probably practice more before attempting to make it realistic in the least. I may change the photo to just a face of a computer animated character. Ill probably just add in some sort of meaning, as a divorce or death of a loved as as I said in my previous post. Ill put some text in there saying something like "A man who lost his wife and child" or "Day after divorce" or something little user added image The point of this animation is practice practice practice. I just learned how to rig so I wanted to use it in an animation, and theres not much you can do with just a rigged hand, so this seems to work out!

# 14 18-05-2007 , 11:48 AM
As I whent further into this project it seemed it started getting worse and worse. Im going to stop working on this as I am very dissapointed with it. Heres something I did yesterday though (this is off the subject). Just thought id mess around with forces.
https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2030354621

# 15 18-05-2007 , 11:55 AM
cool - it worked really well - i think the hole should have had sharper edges. though