Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-05-2007 , 12:17 AM

Duplicating references

I've created a reference for a tree object in my scene. How can I duplicate that reference without increasing the file size?

So far what I have done is to select the tree reference and Ctrl+D.
Should I create a reference for every tree I want included?

# 2 15-05-2007 , 01:08 AM
Subscriber
The problem is much simpler than you think it is. If you create a polygon plane and make a material for it. Plug the referrence image into this material. Create a new polygon plane for every referrence image you want in the scene. Temporary ones of course. When the modeling is done you can delete them, but I rarely do. Usually keep them in the file on a separate layer. It does not impact the filesize much.

Here's how.
1) Find out the width and height of the referrence image. Let's say it's 640 pixels by 480 pixels.
2) Create a polygon plane and in the width input 6.40 and height 4.80 to maintain scale of the source image.
3) When that is done you can scale the polyplane uniformly to any size you want and the image ratio will be kept.
4) You can position the planes and rotate them as needed. If you have a front and side view for instance.
5) Oh and don't forget to hit 6 on the keyboard to display textures on the polygon plane.

Good luck and have fun now.
PS: Some of the free video tutorials here might show you this technique in action.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 3 15-05-2007 , 01:19 AM
I'm looking at the reference editor.
I found out that I can duplicate reference with one of the menu commands there, with not much increase in file size.

One tree is about 6mb.

My screenshot

But I would have a lot of items in the Reference Editor.

I'm planning a lot of trees. At a point in time, I might have to unload a few. But I can't see to right-click and remove the tree reference from the view port.