Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-05-2007 , 06:49 PM

Vector Render Help

I've done it before but not sure how come it doesn't work this time, I think I might have one small wrong tweak somewhere. The 3rd picture below is what I want to get to. But I can't seem to do so.

user added image

If i do an outline render, it gives me the First picture
If i do an Entire Mesh render it gives me the 2nd picture.
I want to get the 3rd Picture where I don't have the diagonal lines nor the empty shape like in picture 1.

I know it's probably one small tweak somewhere in my render attributes.

or maybe my default vector render is not right somewhere.

Here are my attributes under my Vector Render:

Curve tolerance: 0
Secondary curve fitting: off
Detail level: 1
Fill Object: yes
Single color: checked
Show Backface: checked
Include Edges: yes
Edge weight preset: Hairline
Edge weight: 0
Edge Style: Entire Mesh (I've tried Outline and it gives me the 1st pic)
Outlines at intersections: checked
Render Optimizationg: safe

See what i'm doing wrong, or is it that my vector render is just bugged ><

Thanks

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 2 29-05-2007 , 06:59 PM
Have you tried doing outline with an edge weight greater than 0. Just a thought.

If you havn't gotten an answer in the next 2 hours, I'll check it out on my computer at home.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 29-05-2007 , 08:03 PM
Subscriber
Make all edges hard on your model then try again.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 4 29-05-2007 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
looks like someone saw the tip I posted, I wish i could help, but when I followed his steps I had no problem getting the look I was shooting for. Good luck, I've never messed with the vector renderer but it looks pretty cool

# 5 29-05-2007 , 08:22 PM
Okay, I made it home and tried it out. I've done it before but it's been awhile. Anyway, you need to set the min edge angle down to 1.00 (default is 90 which won't work).

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 29-05-2007 , 08:23 PM
Yeah i've trired a weight bigger than 0, but it's still gives me the same thing.

But I think j5ive is correct. I have to make all my edges hard, but How do I go about doing that? especially working on my NURB surface. Can I harden edges on NURBS? or should I convert my NURBs surfaces into polly and then harden the edges?

Thanks

# 7 29-05-2007 , 08:29 PM
I made the edge detail weight to 1 and even to 2, but i'm still getting some diagonals...

user added image

I want to get rid of all the diagonals.

I swear, I've done it before and it wasn't this hard LOL but yeah I'll keep trying.

Thanks

# 8 29-05-2007 , 08:30 PM
did you try using the settings that I just posted? Weight=0 should be fine.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 29-05-2007 , 08:34 PM
Yes I used your settings you posted, if I use just polygons then it works great for the setting.

But If i use the setting to render on my stretched/deformed Nurbs sphere, as in the image posted above, I can still see a little diagonal on the lower left of my oval sphere. but it did greatly reduced my diagnols.

# 10 29-05-2007 , 08:40 PM
I think i know the problem now, maybe it's just that I deformed my sphere too much and that's why the diagonals are still showing, because I had been adding Isoparms and detaching the sphere

But when I use a fresh regular NURBs sphere, your settings works jsut fine ^^.

I just hope when i model other nurbs and deform it, the setting will works just as fine,

Thanks!
But if there any other suggestions, I will gladly try them too

# 11 29-05-2007 , 08:47 PM
I see what you mean. I just tried doing some deforming to both poly's and nurbs which both caused wierd things to happen to the render. Before deforming, it's perfect like you said but not after deforming. I havn't tried j5ive's suggestion yet as I'm going birthday shopping for awhile but will try later. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 29-05-2007 , 08:55 PM
Thanks man!! It was a lot of help. ^.>

I really have learned alot now that you mention the Min Edge Angle and now since I've been tweaking the Min Edge Angle for some time under the vector render. This was the effect that I wanted to know a long time ago too, but couldn't figure it out so I just forgot about it. But now that you mentioned it ^^ I can understand the vector render a little more now.

^.^
I've never really paid attention to that edge number attribute, but I see now, the number between 1 and 90 determines the detail of edges shown in the outcome render view. But yeah, when you deform the object too much, the diagonals starts showing up again.

Probbaly the best way to get rid of the diagonals is to maybe turn my NURBs into poly and harden the edges or something.