Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 11-07-2007 , 03:55 PM
Subscriber
man that looks like something straight out of a greenscreen movie set.., man with those skills.., i could change the world.., but really.., stunning stuff.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 32 11-07-2007 , 11:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thanks Guys

Arran, thats a pretty cool idea actually - lack of geometry. I have modelled both sides but I'll consider it nevertheless. I'll think of something else to go that otherside, perhaps a large laser cannon.

Cheers
Jay

# 33 12-07-2007 , 05:37 AM
Subscriber
I really really like the mood and feel you've established here in the cargo bay. The door area and ramp's cool.
I'm with Arran on the asymmetry as the eye is very sensitive to repeat shapes. You've started some here with the cables and adding the lamps to break it up some. Don't take it as a crit coz it's not user added image

Really looking forward to see it with the cargo net and the other things you have in store for it. Especially textures.
Are you going for a clean, hi-tech and mechanic feel, or more dirty, grimy, wet?

Can I ask sommit stupid?
sdk on the ramp? I suck with abbreviations and I bet it ain't Software Development Kit, and how does it help you speed things up? I'm always into speed-up tricks and watching clever people's solutions.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 34 12-07-2007 , 06:32 AM
Alphaflyte

dude hows it going?

Dont worry about giving crit or not, its a forum so...

SDK = Set driven Key. I have parented the ramp parts to a joint chain with an attribute for lowering and opening the ramp. thisway it speeds things up for the shot sequence that I have in mind.

As for textures, dirty for sure. with a bit of rust here and there. The repeated geometry works with internal structural shapes like this I think but I had to add the cables and lights to break it up otherwise it does get a little boring. The lighting will be quite dim too for these interior sets, the main light source will be the exterior environments, harsh sunlight. Im really looking forward to getting to the next set pieces for my webcomic as theres going to be a massive contrast as to whats being used atm.

Cheers
Jay

# 35 12-07-2007 , 01:35 PM
Subscriber
Ah very neat. Set Driven Key seem very powerful (adds it to the endless list of things to study).

Goes good man, albeit a little slow. Plodding along trying to get my head around 3D. It's easier to teach an old dog how to sit haha.
Continuing UV studies as an extension of last months challenge, and heavily looking into subdivision modeling having a ton of fun with Silo. It's such a joy to model with.
How's yourself with such a busy job, a family AND a webcomic?

Aye the structure here works really well and the repeat shapes aren't too boring, and I think it will look sweet dimly lit. Was more thinking out loud in general terms regardless of medium, thus it was not meant as a crit hehe. It's something you are already aware of too.
With the high key light it might actually work to your advantage, where the lovely contrasts between the harsh light of space and dark shadows will create a lot of drama and visual interest.

Personally I can't wait to see this one textured, nor the cross-over styles about to enter the webcomic, but good things comes to those who wait. Love the build-up you've got going on right now.

So I'll pass the paper back to you and bide my time.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 36 13-07-2007 , 09:30 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
sweet man, i wish i had an inner idiot like that:p
love the detailinguser added image

# 37 14-07-2007 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
I have to say I REALLY like the cables running through the interior! It takes away from the usual "antiseptic" look spaceships tend to have and reminds me of the gritty old rustbuckets I used to sail on! Nice work, Jay, can't wait to see a final render!

Oh yes...as for the symmetry, I am anal for symmetry. If something is asymmetrical, my whole body starts leaning in the direction of asymmetry! :-) Just the same, why not go for something different! As long as the physics of the engine are mildly believable, I suppose it doesn't hurt!

Carry on smartly...!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 38 14-07-2007 , 05:01 AM
Hey Lt Jim

Many thanks, will carry on as requested

Regards
Jay

# 39 16-07-2007 , 03:38 AM
Hey All,

An update between scene shooting! I remodelled the seat and am alot happier with this version.

user added image

And also a sneaky peak into a huge environment set piece that I began today. the yellow stuntman was unharmed in any of this...

user added image

Cheers
Jay

# 40 16-07-2007 , 03:52 AM
hey Jay super user added image user added image KUTGW

May i ask how much RAM u have ?

# 41 16-07-2007 , 04:03 AM
Thanks Coldwave

I have 1.5gb ram

_J

# 42 16-07-2007 , 04:23 AM
Looking good as usual Jay. How come those crates have so many polys?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 43 16-07-2007 , 04:30 AM
anthonycg

thanks, I like to share polys LOL. Seriously, because the intention is to go real close in camera, so no rough poly edges on them. The shots for these scenes are storyboarded already so I know what I need Hi res and not so. Textures will be hi too...

cheers
Jay

# 44 16-07-2007 , 04:47 AM
Nice going Jay

Be looking forward to seeing how the scenery comes together, Im a bit boring in my environments as Ive got a copy of Vue at uni but ive never really used it other than messing about, great for getting HDR environments out, but I think its more of a crutch as its kinda just "need an environment, hey go to vue!" most of the time I use "cards" if you get my meaning, rarther than using the tools you know best!!

Edit - That seat looks nice and comfortable! maybe some arm rests for the long space journeys?? Then agian the ship might be too fast for that LOL!!

PS did you get hte fur sorted in the end?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 16-07-2007 at 04:59 AM.
# 45 16-07-2007 , 05:03 AM
Cheers Steve,

The fire is still a bit of a debate atm, but Im sure I actually have a shader somewhere thats very similar to what Im after, I think it may be okay with a bit of a tickle in PS afterwards too.

i know what you mean about it being a crutch - make an environment for environments sake, but I think if I had Vue, i'd take advantage of it for sure, especially with the Xtreme plugin for Maya. Im not exactly ILM here but I tell you I'd give it a bloody good caning to get some quality crap out. Its all swings and roundabouts though at the end of the day. This particular set is going to get a full Zb3 treat, with dis maps. Plus I have a feeling theres going to be lot of matte work and projection cameras....

cheers
Jay