Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 08-12-2007 , 08:35 AM
Mickeal_alex: hey thanks, actually I plan to use maya's transfer maps tool to create a normal map which will be better as it's topology independant.

arran: Ignore the hair as I will be using Shave and a Haircut to create the hair, that's just the texture on the head you can see.

Cheers

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 47 08-12-2007 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
lookin' good, man

I would agree with arran about the hair texture. It's really sharp in the back and would be nicer if it were more gradual - if you plan on using the texture to help the fullness of the hair.

I think Mickeal_alex was mentioning use of that technique to heighten the detail of the mesh based on the texture map, not baking a bump/normal maps. I think I'd agree, a lot of the forms look a bit washed out, I actually didn't think he'd been zbrushed. This intensifying of the details may help it out.

Besides the washed out nostrils, ears, and all that, the main thing that bothers me about it is actually the shape of the forehead to the back of the head. As it wraps around it's very smooth and doesn't match the probable form of the skull.

I don't know how important this character is so maybe this isn't a huge deal, but they're all simple fixes and would make him look that much more appealing. user added image

are you going to be taking his clothes into ZB?

Last edited by Funky Bunnies; 08-12-2007 at 10:07 AM.
# 48 30-01-2008 , 01:58 AM
Okay, back to this dude again. Haven't posted for a while as I've been rigging and rendering a few shots.

Rigged this guy now and just need to give him some hair so here is the first test of just that.
Ignore the head, it's just a blinn version for quick renders.

user added image

Cheers

Gio

Gio

# 49 30-01-2008 , 02:07 AM
Subscriber
Thats already looking good, love it, would be cool if it looks less fluffy.

# 50 30-01-2008 , 02:18 AM
Thanks, just shaping the back and then will style the other side to match and then I'll give the shading a bit of a tickle

Gio

Gio

# 51 31-01-2008 , 06:22 PM
Really good model and so good hair too. if with some lights will nice better.

user added image

# 52 01-02-2008 , 02:40 AM
Hey cheers lealar.

I have finshed the hair and put the whole rig together, posed the character for a shot and now I'm in the middle of sculpting him in Zbrush. Haven't updated because I'm busy trying to get it done but will stick some grabs of the Zbrush model up later.

Gio

Gio

# 53 02-02-2008 , 05:34 AM
Hey, just a quick update.

Here's the sculpt at the mo, trying to finish off and render off two shots today but noisy neighbours making concentration difficult.

user added image

Cheers

Gio

Gio

# 54 02-02-2008 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
what did you use to make the hair on this model? That looks good

# 55 02-02-2008 , 06:19 AM
Thanks, I used Shave and a Haircut 4.5 for Maya 2008. Had Shave version 3.something before for Maya 6 but the new version works even better, the hair was done in a few hours or so, really nice to use.

Gio

Gio

# 56 02-02-2008 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
wow I need to get my hands on shave and a haircut I've seen it mentioned before but never seen any results. Sounds easy to use, I tried using maya's hair and I lost track of how long it took me to do what I wanted and even then it wasn't good enough.

# 57 02-02-2008 , 06:49 AM
Think I'm pretty much done so gonna start exporting this old boy out and sort some normal maps.

user added image

Rhetoric Camel: Shave is great, you can style and get good results without too much fuss.

Gio

Gio

# 58 02-02-2008 , 09:24 AM
mmm - that's looking really nice gio! user added image

how did you do his clothes - are they just modeled in to this pose?

# 59 02-02-2008 , 09:33 AM
Hey thanks arran.

He's rigged in a t-pose and then I posed him and exported him into Zbrush to sculpt the details. Rendering him in the final scene for page 6 of the webcomic/novel at the mo.

Cheers

Gio

Gio

# 60 02-02-2008 , 09:38 AM
got you. so if you needed the same character in a different pose later on - you'd redo the wrinkles again for the new pose? sorry for the questions - i just want to try something similar for my current project.