Or is there some setting in the move tool that should be on?
I have searched all through the site here and look through the manual but can't figure out what's going on here.
2. Create, translate, and scale a NURBS sphere into the position shown in front and side views at the top of Figure 5.5.
3. Make the sphere live by clicking the Magnet button in the Status line. This will turn it into a green wireframe. Now the EPs of the line of the eye can be snapped to it.
4. Pick-mask Edit Points on the eye template line as shown in the middle of Figure 5.5. Notice that when you select the Move tool, there is a circle at the center of the manipulator instead of the usual square. This shows that Maya is going to constrain the movement to some element, in this case, the live object.
5. Snap the points to the live surface by moving them slightly back and forth in the front view. You will notice them snapping to the surface in the side view.
6. Continue until all the EPs are snapped as shown at the bottom of Figure 5.5.