Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-08-2009 , 05:29 PM

Corrective Blenshapes Question

Hello again,

Someday I would like to be able to actually contribute to forums instead of posting stupid questions on them, but since today is not that day, here I am with another stupid question.

I've been rigging a simple character, and I'm just about done. The whole rig seems to work fine, but I still need to fine tune some deformations. I wanted to add corrective blendshapes to the elbows so that they would deform realistically at tight angles. I made the blenshape and set a driven key with the blenshape node as the driven and the y angle of the skin elbow as the driver, then set a keys for the effect to be 0 at 0 degrees, 0 at -90 degrees, and 100% at -140 degrees. What happens, unfortunately, is that the bledshape's effect spikes up to 100% in between 0 and -90 degrees. When I try the same thing using the FK elbow joint as the driver, I don't get this problem, but that doesn't really do me any good, since the blendshape wouldn't take effect if I switched to IK. I may be doing this whole thing totally wrong, but it would be great if someone could give me their input on why they think this is happening. Thanks.