Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-01-2003 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber

Duallies

hey all
i was wondering how big ur monitors are for all those who have a dual monitor setup
I was going to get two monitors, but i wasnt sure if i shud get
1) 2 19" CRTs
or
2) 1 19" CRT and 1 15" TFT

TFTs arent so great in games, CRTs dont offer the precision TFTs have, well thats what i heard
the main thing tho is the physical sizes of monitors, would it look weird if you had 2 monitors which were different sizes? ud hurt ur eyes quite a bit tryin to adjust quickly to both monitors wudnt u?

i dont know which to go for user added image what do you think?

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 2 25-01-2003 , 03:28 AM
On my PC, I have 2 19" CRTs. Same brand, same model. Works great. On my Mac, I have a 22" LCD and 15.2" LCD, both widescreen. Works great as well. Personally, I like LCDs better, because there is much less strain on my eyes. I've been using dual monitors for so long that I don't notice whether or not they're the same sizes. What's more important is image quality. As long as you have nice monitors, it doesn't matter what size they are.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 25-01-2003 , 02:31 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the reply
just 2 questions
which one gives better image quality (between CRTs and TFTs) in:
1) Maya
2) Games
3) Everyday computer use (word processing, browsing the SM boards user added image etc)

- Simon

# 4 25-01-2003 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
for games... crt rules... and i use a dual 17" combination... works great for photoshop and i dont play games on both.... yeah duals it rules in web surfing too, multiple windows, you can use maya and browse the web and the same time without requiring you too minimize anything...

hope it helps,
Tariq

# 5 25-01-2003 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
are TFTs only good for maya and photoshop then?

and is it possible to run a game like unreal tournament 2k3 on the main monitor, and have the second monitor completely free displaying ur desktop? or will the game span both monitors?

- Simon

# 6 25-01-2003 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber
i dont think so... coz fast moving images causes blurrs on the TFT screens... movies too

# 7 25-01-2003 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
oh, think thats TFTs out of the question then

whats the difference between dualview and span/clone?
does anyone have a mix of CRT and TFT for their dual?

btw danny which of ur setups do u prefer? do u use maya on both setups?

- Simon

Last edited by Nem; 25-01-2003 at 03:54 PM.
# 8 25-01-2003 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
i suggest a 19" and a 17" if you can afford it... but 17" duals works great for me... span, i think, expands the whole screen to both screens, clone, i think, one screen shows what the other shows...

# 9 25-01-2003 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
i can afford either a dual 19" CRT or a 19" CRT and a 15" TFT
i knew about clone, wasnt so sure about span but i am now user added image i was just confused about dualview really :S

- Simon

# 10 25-01-2003 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
then go ahead with the dual 19".... damn are you lucky!!! you'r gonna love it!!!

# 11 25-01-2003 , 08:34 PM
TFT's are best for general use (internet/word processing)

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 12 25-01-2003 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
oh, what makes u say that? sorry i know nothing about hardware, aint touched the insides of a computer before, always make someone else do it cos im scared ill break sumthing user added image

- Simon

# 13 25-01-2003 , 09:23 PM
The latest round of LCD screens are actually very good for gaming, although they tend to be the more expensive ones. I don't really play any games, so I'm not worried about it.

I've found that LCDs are MUCH easier to look at for long periods over CRTs. Of course, I do have one of the more expensive LCDs on the planet (Apple Cinema Display), so I might be a bit spoiled. The color is good, the image clarity is good, and there is very little streaking with movies.

However, any really good CRT will be more flexible and cheaper than a good LCD. If you're playing a lot of games, I would recommend a set of CRTs. The main reasons to get an LCD are mostly for health, space usage, and, well, they're cool. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 14 25-01-2003 , 09:48 PM
I "borrowed" the following from one of those shopping sites where the buyers can post there comments. it should clear things up.

- TFT (Thin Film Transistor) and describes the control elements that actively control the individual pixels. TFT screens run digitally so they dont need to do any decoding of signals from your video card wherease CRT use analog signals and since computers run on binary the CRT needs to decode these signals. Naturally some of the information is lost in the process. TFT screens also dont flicker because they're LCD and dont use lasers. This is perfect for long duration of office use (typing,etc). It isn't so good for games and movies as CRT's because CRT's have a greater viewing angle and produce brighter, more accurate colour reproduction. Not enough to explain? Here's more. In the LCD world the optimum resolution stated on the box or catalogue is termed the native resolution which implies that running it at any other resolution may not be a good idea. As we all know various games run at different resolutions and the higher the resolution the sharper the picture. LCD's naturally are crap at this. Wherease CRT's are a bit more flexible. There are other aspects of TFT's that dont make it suitable for gaming but I really cant be arsed. You can always do a bit of research yourself.

- You say the picture quality is better on a CRT than a TFT. That isn't true in most cases. Gaming and movies such as DVD are good for CRT whilst your everyday tasks such as word processing, emails, internet browsing (basically anything that doesn't require a picture to be updated constantly) is better on a TFT.

# 15 25-01-2003 , 09:57 PM
just a quick question:

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 720 (paid £300 3 years ago)...should i upgrade?