Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 106 22-07-2011 , 09:03 AM
The thin red line
Good to see some progress, why maya hair and not fur or paintfx just a question..........dave

# 107 22-07-2011 , 09:16 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Dave

Thanks....

Well from my findings is seems that Maya Hair is actually a version of PFX and crossed with Fur, but with less settings than that of standard paint fx plus it renders in MR without the needed conversion to poly. The hair can generate from points or face across the mesh and can be pushed pulled and re-arranged manually if need be. It generates a follicle and PFX hair node in the scene, and generally the settings work from hair clumps. The cached nodes of the follicle and PFX sets can also allow for deletion of the generated hair on the mesh allowing you the option of curves instead and attaching the same hair node to the curves instead of the mesh itself and retains all the settings. Give it a try its alot more intuitive than you think, I'm sure it will get harder as I delve deeper into the main hair for the head, but hey thats part of the challenge here for me on this project. Its gonna be a portfolio piece too (hopefully)

cheers
Jay

# 108 23-07-2011 , 12:31 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Well Jay brace yourself when trying to comb the hair...with newton and drag fields, brow looks good , did you attach the follicle to the actual geo itself or did you use underlying geometry?

# 109 23-07-2011 , 01:25 PM
Hey Mastone

I generated the follicle and PFX node from a bit of underlying geo, deleted the actual follicles and hair to leave their cached nodes, then just made curves and regenerated the hair from the cache, and styled it to the reference.

I wont be needing newtons and drag fields as its not necessary, I can style it from the follicles and clumps manually using the standard maya tools that are generated even with attached. I'll be posting my progress so I'll answer what I can as and when I get there.....

cheers
Jay

# 110 24-07-2011 , 11:13 PM
Small update on the brow, am happy with its shape as its pretty much near as damn it to Hepburns own, god she had strange brows lol. Am going to add another hair system to it for the finer hairs and also to add more randomness

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 111 02-08-2011 , 09:01 PM
Update

added the next gen of brows now with lots of tweaking. Am going to add another hair system to it for more random and thinner hairs

Am home from my gig in Ireland so will be able to post a bit more now.....

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 112 02-08-2011 , 10:53 PM
Better this time, added some extra guide curves and added the same hair system again with a slight tweak on the clump twist and also the thinning.

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 113 02-08-2011 , 11:49 PM
last one for the day. Have generated a new hair system for the actual head now. The green cap was use as a cache for the hair itself. Am now dicing with death lol as I begin the famous ' Breakfast at Tiffanys hairdo.....failing this hair style I have another waiting in the wings.

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 114 03-08-2011 , 01:23 AM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
its coming along quite nicely jay

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 115 03-08-2011 , 09:49 AM
Cheers Vlad

# 116 11-08-2011 , 09:11 PM
Okay a bit of an update.

Changed to my backup hair plan as I mentioned in a previous post, the 'Tiffanys' hair do is just too awkward at the moment to attempt, I need to find more refs of the style at the back and all sorts just to see the mechanics of it. Anyway heres the other hair from another one of her movies...

Im still adjusting curves and need to add a few more here and there plus spread the top and the side for a better parting too, the back especially as its not quite there yet either. Also will add the mental ray hair shader once the style is sorted.

enjoy for now...

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 117 11-08-2011 , 09:25 PM
The thin red line
Looking good Jay, how meny hair systems are you using, glad you dropped the other style thought she would end up looking like a smurf...........LOL........dave

# 118 11-08-2011 , 09:28 PM
Hey Dave

cheers....LOL well dunno about that....

Ive got 2 hair systems on it right now, brows and hair...thats it.

Jay

# 119 12-08-2011 , 12:24 PM
Subscriber
its great watching this. glad youre finally finding the time to progress.

# 120 12-08-2011 , 02:47 PM
cheers Ben

J