Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-04-2011 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber

panning in and out with the mouse wheel and other noob question

Hi all,

I need help lol. I was doing the tutorial on the victorian house and was doing the part where you had to copy objects to a layer.

but while doing that ( and not sure if it has to do anything with it) suddenly my mouse wheel doesnt work anymore to pan in and out a little anymore the cam goes crazy with just one click miles in and out but i cant work with it anymore. is there a setting where i can reset my cam angles, and also the panning in and out on my objects?

Furthermore i was being taught to make a project in Maya, and set the project so it opens up. but by closing maya it still asked me to save the scene, which i did and thankfully i did, cause otherwise the work would have been gone.

Whats the meaning of making a project if it opens immediately when you fire up Maya?

# 2 30-04-2011 , 07:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
A project has a larger scope than just scenes. Each scene is a file and you can have many scene files (different characters or objects) in one project. A project also contains folders for textures, reference images, rendered movies and images etc.

But, you may have a few projects on the go and you can switch between them (file > project > set project...). This tells maya which scene folder to save scenes in.

As for dollying in and out, I prefer to use Alt + RMB instead of the mouse wheel (more control). Hope that helps.

# 3 01-05-2011 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
Thank you for your answer Stwert user added image it does. The interface and things that can be done with it is just overwhelming. Hitting a wrong button is quickly done....

# 4 01-05-2011 , 07:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
It just takes time and practice, for everybody. And don't be afraid to experiment and make mistakes. Someone will be here if you get into a corner. It's good practice to save a new copy before you try something drastic though (e.g. MyScene01.ma, MyScene02.ma etc.)