Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 19-05-2011 , 05:21 PM

[Question] Difference Tool

Hello,

i have a question concerning the "mesh->booleans->difference" tool.
i made a wall out of a cube, then i added text and tryed to subtract the text from the wall to give the wall some kind of a fracture style. like the text had been chiseled into the wall.
but it didnt work properly. ive post u a screenshot of my current situation:

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/snap1i.png/
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/snap2a.png/

as u can see, nothing fractured, the text just "lays" on the wall, with no effect.

if i do the same thing with a sphere instead of the text, it works as intend.

i played around with the difference tool a bit and once when i extruded the text a lot and made it so big, that i came out on the front and also on the back side of the wall, the difference tool worked pretty well (unfortunately i wasnt able to achieve that again; all other trys also in the same way with the same setup failed in the same way as i told u above).

could anyone please explain to me, how the difference tool really works and how i can give my wall or other polygon objects some fracture style by subtracting text from it.

i hope that u understand my text, its pretty hard to explain exactly what i mean in english user added image
i guess the screenshots will help to understand my bafflegab user added image

mfg

# 2 19-05-2011 , 07:14 PM
The thin red line
You would be much better of creating a bump map with a colour texture to do this, if you need to do a boolean add more edge to the wall and make it thicker, then after the boolean you should clean up the mesh (a lot of work)...........dave