Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-05-2011 , 10:22 PM

Maya fluids - diamond shaped artifacts, blobby renders

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the newbie question, I've searched around and can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

I'm working with fluids in Maya 2011, and I have a scene from a friend for some nice, black, thick smoke.

Now the thing is that, while on my friend's computer the smoke looks VERY realistic both when simulating and when rendering, mine has a lot of diamond-shaped artifacts while simulating. And if I render a frame, those "diamonds" become big blobs. (see pic)

I've tried resetting the preferences to default, but to no avail..

Could anyone help?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Attached Images
# 2 20-05-2011 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber
what is the hardware difference between you and your friends computer?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 20-05-2011 , 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
That just looks like the typical effect low resolution has on a fluid.

- Genny
# 4 21-05-2011 , 10:07 PM

That just looks like the typical effect low resolution has on a fluid.

Thanks a lot! Yes, it was just the resolution being "stuck" at 50, for some reason. I also had noticed that my mental ray had disappeared in Maya. Tried re-activating it in the plug-in manager, and it didn't work anyway. So I bit the bullet and reinstalled Maya from scratch (which took less than 5 minutes), and now everything works again.

Thanks for the replies!

# 5 01-07-2011 , 04:44 PM

Blobby fluid renders

I was fighting this same problem. If you choose "play every frame" rather than "real time (24 FPS)" in animation settings, this may fix it! It did for me.