Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-05-2011 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber

Scaled Amphibian ZBrush Sculpt

Hi folks. I thought I should post this here rather than the wip section as I havnt really used Maya for this, but Ive been doing this little bit by little bit over the last few weeks. Thought it's about time I posted it somewhere. I wondered if anybody has any crits they could give....detail that doesnt suit, or could be changed - or added? I havnt really gone for a realistic crocodile...havnt really used any reference - except for around the head area....wondering more, sort of compositionally, how the detail sits on him and what could be done to improve it. Ive looked at it so much could do with some other pairs of eyes.

The last shot includes a bit of an environment I made for him, but I've lost that since to just concentrate on him.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ben hobden; 20-05-2011 at 12:54 AM.
# 2 20-05-2011 , 05:53 AM
EduSciVis-er
Wow, great stuff! The things I would suggest are to lose that disc shaped protusion at the base of the tail (the three together I guess) and shorten the spikes on the back, they're maybe too extreme. I really like your environment too, although it doesn't show off the croc as it is.

# 3 20-05-2011 , 09:58 AM
The thin red line
Looking good Ben, I think the tail could be a little bit longer but thats me. Did you do the set in zbrush..............dave

# 4 20-05-2011 , 11:32 AM
Subscriber
Stwert: do you say to lose them because they stop it looking like a crocodile or because they are just too extreme. Ive got a wierd problem with the back two of that set of three, which ive never had in zbrush before. I cant add 'clay' on them. I think you can see on the middle disc shaped thing the detail on the front cuts off half way down. When I try adding in that area under the cut off point it subs instead. Wierd. Shame aswell cause I quite liked the turtle shell like detailing on the first and wanted to carry that on on the other two. I wondered if they were too large when I added them. I should post a wip shot without them.

Dave: I hadnt really given any thought to the tails length, its been the last part ive worked on, and still not finished or happy with it. May be hard to adjust its length now,but good suggestion.
The enviroment was based in maya, and detailed in z. I actually used the sculpt geometry tool in maya on the floor, first, before going to z. The water was just a plane, and an attempt to try the transparency rendering in zbrush. The plantlife are paintfx converted to polys and exported. I like this trick, but you have to make sure you hit that 'display double sided' button when you get them into z to get the full effect.

# 5 20-05-2011 , 12:17 PM
Hi Ben,

Looks like a nice sculpt. A bit of crit would be that it took me a while to figure out what was what from the images posted, maybe due to the amount of detial overcoming the form of the beastey itself.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 20-05-2011 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber
Gster, thanks. Yeah, the detail is pretty obsessive. To the point also where it masks in places, parts which, I think, underlying form wise, arent that strong. The limbs I have in mind in particular. I should have taken a wip shot when it was just the base zsketch. I was pleased with it at that stage, then started adding detail, and as it progressed I liked it more and more and just told myself id keep it openended and not stop even if it took me weeks. The form is not as good, or did I spend as much time on, as the sagat character I worked on for the april challenge.been getting used to using hd sculpting and trying different brushes- used the trim brushes for the first time. Been conscious throughout of jays comment several weeks back, elsewhere, about zbrush sculpts that are laboured over but unuseable in any realistic production sense. I guess this would fall into that category,but I might see if I can get it to render in maya at some point.

# 7 20-05-2011 , 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
From my observation going crazy with the details seems to affect most people who are really getting into Zbrush. Ben fell victim user added image. I think its a nice sculpt, I think the stubby limbs make it look cute while menacing.

- Genny
# 8 20-05-2011 , 04:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
I just thought the discs were a bit distracting, maybe if you added a smaller one in front of the larger one, it would have better flow?

# 9 21-05-2011 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
Gen: user added image thanks. Cute and menacing user added image

Stwert: should do something with that area, need to fix the fault mentioned above anyway.