Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-07-2011 , 10:01 AM
Acid44

1971 Nissan Skyline KPGC10

Been working on this for about 3 days now, was gonna wait until I was done to post it, but I'm too anxious to show it off, as I'm pretty happy with it. Had to model all the badges by hand because I couldn't find a photo at a decent angle, came out pretty good, I think, proud of myself there.

I don't think I'll be doing an interior on this. May take my chances with it later, but if I do, I'd want to do the chassis, engine, etc. as well. Well see.

I've done pretty much everything so far, all that's left is:

GT-R badge on the grill on the front
GTR badge on the back
Finish the brake lights
Add little badges or whatever behind the rear wheel arches
Window trim
Tweak Tweak Tweak
Final renders

Here's the progress so far, tried to get as many angles as I could.

C/C?

Click to enlarge.

user added image user added image user added image user added image
user added image user added image user added image user added image
user added image user added image user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Acid44; 12-07-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Forgot images :(
# 2 12-07-2011 , 10:45 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Finally I too can see it in hi def. user added image
Only problem I can see is it needs windscreen wipers...

# 3 12-07-2011 , 10:47 AM
Subscriber
that is an old skyline, isn't it. looks really good. the skyline badge has come out well. no need to be anxious. hope to see more.

# 4 12-07-2011 , 10:57 AM
Lifetime Member
Nice going mate...is the material on the hood mirrors meant to be the same as the bonnet?? looks a lot darker. Well done on the badges dude...like it...how did you do them? In PS then displace and convert to poly?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 12-07-2011 , 02:37 PM
Acid44
Thanks guys ;D

@Elephantinc - It's got windshield wipers now, gonna set it all up for another render in a few minutes, as I've done a fair bit more :p

Nice going mate...is the material on the hood mirrors meant to be the same as the bonnet?? looks a lot darker. Well done on the badges dude...like it...how did you do them? In PS then displace and convert to poly?

cheers bullet

Nope, don't even have a clue how to do that. I modeled the badges from poly planes, nothing but edge extrusions with curves to guide. I would have planar'd the curves, but the results were horrible. As for the mirror, no. user added image The mirror was to be a black smooth plastic and the hood carbon fibre

# 6 12-07-2011 , 05:23 PM
Acid44
Done a bit more on it now, had some troubles exporting, Maya kept crashing, I think it may have to do with the poly count.

Updates:

Added GT-R badge on the front, still needs the one on the back
Added windshield wipers
Added license plate mounts on the back
Added trunk key hole
Reworked the tires; made the sidewalls thicker, and the wheels smaller
Finished the brake lights
Tweaked a few things

I think that's it, could be more. Pretty tired though, bedtime for me.

Click to enlarge
user added image user added image

# 7 12-07-2011 , 06:57 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hey are you using keyshot I know its still a test render but there is way too much noise its abit distracting making it impossible to notice the other details

# 8 13-07-2011 , 12:53 AM
Acid44
Yeah I am, all these so far are just screen shots from the real-time rendering. With the real time rendering it seems that no matter how long you wait for it to clear up theres still noise.

I've run a full clay render while I was sleeping though, no noise in this one user added image

Click to enlarge

user added image

Edit: Gave it an underbody and basic exhaust, think I'll be adding the suspension/brakes/etc. if I notice that a lot of the bottom of the car shows at different angles. Gave the wheels and tires a quick make over, just added bolts/air pump cap thingy to the wheels and made tyres and wheels more round

Also added the GTR badge that goes on the back and worked on the brake lights a bit, but can't be bothered to get a shot of it right now.

See attachments (Just screenshots from rendering program, so try to ignore the quality :p )

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Acid44; 13-07-2011 at 01:33 PM.
# 9 14-07-2011 , 08:54 AM
Acid44
Window trim done, UV'd the body. Something went wrong in the export and the UV map got screwed up, but whatever, you get the idea.

To do:

Suspension
Brakes
Possibly interior
UV the rest of it
Any ideas?

Click to enlarge
user added image

# 10 14-07-2011 , 09:46 AM
Lifetime Member
motor????????

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 14-07-2011 , 12:51 PM
Acid44
Good idea, don't know if I'd do more that the top/front of it and the intercooler though, I don't know enough about that stuff to do the parts that aren't directly visible... Would also mean I'd have to model the underside of the hood and the engine bay though, wich may or may not be a bit much for me...

Great idea actually. Ill definitely consider it user added image

# 12 14-07-2011 , 12:52 PM
Subscriber
i do like this. ive been playing gran turismo 5 this past week, some lovely car modelling in that, and different filter effects in the game engine to help give some gorgeous reflections and shadows.

am gonna ask, what is the deal with the angled wheels. i assume that's how their supposed to be...but why?

# 13 14-07-2011 , 03:23 PM
Acid44
The car in the pictures I'm using as reference has a fair bit of negative camber, and I just thought it made the scene look more aggressive before, now that I'm pretty much done with the body I'm going to set them normally for future renders though :p

# 14 16-07-2011 , 10:33 AM
Acid44
Done a bit of suspension and brake work... But also been working on something with Bullet, which you'll see later, so didn't have much time user added image

@Bullet - when you see this, I woulda worked more on the other thing, but tyres were driving me bats**t insane LOL

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 15 16-07-2011 , 11:08 AM
Lifetime Member
Sweet as mate...working on a tyre myself...LOL. I will do what I do...Surveyor wise (wink)...you concentrate on the bits for the car....I will do the other.

cheers bullet

bullet1968