Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-08-2011 , 06:01 PM

Placing spheres exactly x amount of 'units' apart from each other

I must say I am brand new to Maya, and know nothing more than I've learned by a couple books and browsing YouTube, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm trying to complete and introductory tutorial in one of my Maya books titled 'Solar System'.

Basically, I've created the 9 planets (I've chose to include Pluto) and being the anal person I am, I would like to know how to set selected objects (in this case spheres) a defined distance apart, not at the pivot points, but from the far edge of the planet(s).

For example, I want each planet to be exactly x amount of 'units' apart from each other (from their edges); is this possible?

Again, I apologize for asking such a simple question, trust I have 'Googled' for days and have experimented with Maya's 'Align Tool' and haven't been able to make it work like I want.

Thank you for your time.

# 2 02-08-2011 , 06:09 PM
The Nurb Herd
set the pivot point using the insert key. snap it holding the V key and then use the measure tool.

# 3 02-08-2011 , 06:25 PM
If you are attaching planets to animation paths you could create a predefined ruler. Although I might be confusing you.

Suppose you want planet B to be x distance from planet A. From top view Create an object such as a cube (to act as a ruler) that has a length equal to (x +(radius of B). Place one end of the cube even with the outer edge of planet A. Next place your animation path so that it's even with the other end of the cube. When you attach planet B to the animation path, the planets will be the correct distance from each other.

In otherwords, just create an object that represents the correct distance and use it as a guide. You can snap to the verts on the object for more precision.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 02-08-2011 , 07:29 PM
Thank you both, I finally added the distance I wanted between planets A and B plus the 'scale' of both planets, which gave me 'Planet B's' new location.