Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 01-09-2011 , 08:22 AM

Modeling a sword using loft nurbs

Hello there user added image

Im trying to model the Master Sword from the "Legend of Zelda" series.

https://images.wikia.com/zelda/images...a_of_Time).png

My idea was to model the blade of the sword using Loft nurbs: This works well on the upper part of the blade, but it's totally screwed up at the bottom, where the blade bends outward a bit:

user added image

user added image

Any idea how to avoid this? I already modeled the sword in Cinema4D once, using the same technique and it worked pefrectly there. Maybe it's some Loft parameters that have to be adjusted that I dont know about user added image

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

# 2 01-09-2011 , 09:30 AM
I would not try to do the loft in a single shot. You might get better results if you do the blade, hilt, and guard as separate lofts and then unify them

I am not a fan of your image site it keeps popping up this annoying dialogue to install a video player and I do not want it but if you close the dialogue it just pops up and covers the screen shots.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 01-09-2011 , 09:35 AM
Hey ctbram, thanks for your answer, and sorry for the image hosting issues :/

Actually, I'm trying exactly what you proposed, what you see in the image is only the blade, not the hilt or the guard, the blade itself is shaped as shown in the image. Also compare with the reference image I posted.

# 4 01-09-2011 , 09:42 AM
okay I looked at the ref image and I see what you are trying to do and loft is probably not the best surfacing approach.

I think birail would work better to form the edged portion of the blade. I am in the middle of something atm but if I can get some time I will put something up for you.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-09-2011 at 10:04 AM.
# 5 01-09-2011 , 01:39 PM
Ahh yes, birail sounds sensible user added image Ill give it a shot user added image
I could also attach the Maya file with the two paths, if needed.
Thanks a lot! user added image

# 6 01-09-2011 , 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Try photobucket, or even Flickr (haven't tried that one though). That site is shady, using persistent popups to get people to download software, no thanks.

Out of curiosity, why NURBS?

- Genny
# 7 01-09-2011 , 09:07 PM
Ok, I'll use a different image hoster next time user added image

I want to use Nurbs because I succesfully modeled the blade using C4D and Nurbs. Why did I use Nurbs in C4D in the first place? because it appeared to be a faster (and easier) method then polygon modelling user added image

# 8 02-09-2011 , 04:28 AM
Yes please attach a .ma file with your paths and I will look at them.

# 9 02-09-2011 , 07:09 AM
Here is the file.
Thank you! user added image

Attached Files
File Type: zip blade.zip (8.6 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by Legento; 02-09-2011 at 07:11 AM.