Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-09-2011 , 05:53 PM

rigging three legs

Unfortunately my character is neither quadaped or biped. I'm trying to 'animate' the letter M with the skeleton like so

/ 1___2___3
0___1 ___2 ___3
\ 1___2___3

I have a problem with animating a walk. The character is setup with IK handles between joint 1 and 3. I can't get the 'legs' to plant down on the floor ahead or behind the default position because whenever I move the legs forward or backward the feet rise up off the floor making it impossible to make a walk cycle.

It seems Ik handles are not enough but I can't find any other tool on maya to get the leg to move properly. The characters I've seen you can manipulate the leg to take whatever position you want in the walk cycle using only one control attached to the leg but I don't know how to replicate it.

What workflow would typically be used in this situations?

ps also when importing rigs I never seem to see the 'skeleton' for some reason. How would I get it to show?

Last edited by jarwulf; 11-09-2011 at 06:15 PM.
# 2 11-09-2011 , 06:26 PM
Lifetime Member
Select the Ik handels then ctrl A to open up the ik handels options and make them sticky

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 12-09-2011 , 12:59 AM

Select the Ik handels then ctrl A to open up the ik handels options and make them sticky

I'm trying to rig the leg so I can move it around with one control allowing it to bend up and contact the floor ahead and behind the character in a walk like the other rigs I see rather than having to pose joint 1 and the ik handle separately.

Last edited by jarwulf; 12-09-2011 at 01:33 AM.
# 4 12-09-2011 , 02:33 AM
Lifetime Member
making them sticky will keep them contacting the floor when you bend the leg ..you can key the stickiness on and off as required as you animate.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner