Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-10-2011 , 12:10 AM

Forsaken Studios - Embers of Caerus

Forsaken Studios is looking for talented volunteers to help create a one of a kind low-fantasy medieval themed sandbox MMORPG.

Who is Forsaken Studios and what are we up to?

Forsaken Studios is a Texas-based indie game company that is currently developing the highly-
anticipated and revolutionary next-generation sandbox MMORPG for the PC called Embers of
Caerus. Forsaken Studios is made up of a talented team of international developers working
on a voluntary basis, united by their passion for MMORPG games, with the goal of creating the
next-gen sandbox MMORPG made by gamers for gamers. More information can be found at:
www.embersofcaerus.com .

Who are we currently looking for?

-
-

3D Artists with skills in Maya/3dsmax, Zbrush/mudbox

Technical artists with skills in rigging/scripter, Maya/3dsmax and knowledge in other middleware/engines

3D Animators with skills in Maya/3dsmax and understanding or rigs essential

Environmental Artists with skills in modelling essential and having the understanding of working within 3D games engines.
-

Are you willing to join our team? Send your CV to: jobs@forsakenstudios.com

Last edited by Lee Perkins; 18-07-2012 at 11:11 PM.
# 2 04-10-2011 , 01:25 AM
Sounds like an elaborate scam.

# 3 04-10-2011 , 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Looks legit, I understand why the details of certain aspects would be addressed privately.

- Genny
# 4 04-10-2011 , 09:03 AM
Why would it be a scam? Were not asking for your credit card details lol, were looking for talented people who want to join us in trying to break into the games industry.

# 5 04-10-2011 , 10:09 AM
Heres an engine test we did a while back

Embers of Caerus- Engine Test - YouTube

Everything in that video is ours apart from the naked essex builder walking around. He was only added to test AI pathing.

You can even go to the websites I posted in the original post and check out the concept artists work. This is a legit company just looking to break into the industry. I know setups like this often get brushed with the "kids dreaming" brush.
The teams average age must be in the 30's, we have pro's, semi'pro's and also talented amatures all looking to make that perfect game.

# 6 04-03-2012 , 11:39 PM
Hello again, just a little update from me.

We are doing amazingly well but I am always looking for more talent.

I am still looking for talented character artists to join my team so if you are interested please email me at leeperkins@forsakenstudios.com with a portfolio and any experience you may have.

You can also view our concept art here: www.embersofcaerus.com and also there's a new video we released back in December.

Thank you

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

www.embersofcaerus.com - www.forsakenstudios.com

Last edited by Lee Perkins; 14-03-2012 at 05:02 PM.
# 7 05-03-2012 , 02:16 AM
Technical Director
Your gallery needs an account.

I'm sorry, but we're skeptical about these kinds of projects as a lot of us have been burned by them in the past. (Myself included) We've had many people come on, even within the last year or so, claiming that they're different. Only to disappear a few months later, along with completed work that the artist(s) never got paid for.

Now, it does sound that you have made some headway into actually getting this thing done. I'm just explaining why people are so timid about these kinds of things.

However, I wish you all the best in your current, and future projects,

-ND

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 05-03-2012 at 02:18 AM.
# 8 05-03-2012 , 05:57 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
What I don't get is why ( if your serious and not only an enthousiast) you are trying to make an MMO with probably no budget, no personel etc etc
If you are serious you prepare a pitch, make one level but really solid and maybe a trailer and with any luck a studio/publisher or another investor will pick it up so you can develop for real.

I personally think once you have all this in order you will have an easier time getting new people aboard, it probably won't be me, not that I don't like to work for you personally, it's just MMO's that I hate

# 9 05-03-2012 , 09:13 AM
Yeah I understand, got burned myself a couple of years back.

We have been in development for just over a year now, have around 50 developers on board with varied experiences.
We are making an MMO because a majority of the team are gamers themselves and sick of other MMO's falling short.

Now I know most set-ups like this get brushed aside with the 'kids in dreamland creating a game' which is perfectly understandable. The average age on this team is in the 30's and not living in daydream land just so you know. user added image

To be honest I get this reaction everywhere I post, it doesn't irritate me at all. It just makes me kind of sad that others have been burned by indie companies in the past. I am not one who believes in faith, it might work for some but others like myself on the team it is fuelled by our passion to make a name for ourselves within the industry.

But anyway yes, you may get burned, you may end up sharing the same passion for the project like myself and others. How will you know unless you take that risk?

Thank you for your time.

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

Last edited by Lee Perkins; 14-03-2012 at 05:03 PM.
# 10 05-03-2012 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
I'd just like to chip into this and vouch for lee and the team at FS.

I've been making some models for them and helping out for about 6 or 7 months now. I can vouch that the team is large and some of the guys are literally working day and night. I havnt been paid for any work I have done, but I understood that from the beginning. I have however got some interesting experience of working to brief and gained a sense of what it is like to work as part of a team and a pipeline, which I have never had before in my use of maya/zbrush/ps etc.

I'm on the FS dev forum and the numbers of individuals involved mentioned above is accurate.... It is no scam.

# 11 05-03-2012 , 07:13 PM
Subscriber
The fact that Lee defends himself makes him seem more legit. You never see scammers EVER defend themselves, they always try to dodge things. Although that's an arbitrary measurement and he might be that 1% of scammers who has the guts to stand up for themselves. But if Ben, who we all know, love, and trust, is vouching for the team I'd say it's definitely legit.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 05-03-2012 , 08:18 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 13 05-03-2012 , 09:12 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for your insight Ben. I wouldn't be opposed to working together with them even if it is unpaid. The last game developer I worked with flaked out on me which wasn't too surprising but it sounds like this studio is a little bigger. PM me or email me with some more info and Ill join up.

- Jake
# 14 05-03-2012 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
...at least you should have a company info on your website. C'mon..

"Founded in 2011 Based in Texas, USA, with an international team. "

No address, no phone. no. and links for 'management' and 'contact us' don't work.

No serious company would 'overlook' that. That's why some people are sceptical...

# 15 05-03-2012 , 09:20 PM
I'll sort your cheque out later Ben. user added image

But yeah I am always wary of these posts when seen myself, I got called all sort of crap when I posted on linkedin groups looking for animators lol. My god did they pile on the hate. I did however have 25 competent animators apply during that week of hell. Only a handful were picked and a couple are still with us.
I won't lie to you it is hard work, I don't expect you to work 16 hours a day like myself on the project, but some time and effort are needed to stick with us.

Also Ben I think its longer than that, I think its closer to 10 months + I think. user added image

Thanks again.

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director